New Colombo Plan Scholarships
Your future could be even brighter…
Are you one of tomorrow's global leaders? The New Colombo Plan Scholarship Program is giving Australia's best undergraduates a unique opportunity to undertake international study and an internship/mentorship in the Indo-Pacific. It's the most lucrative and prestigious undergraduate scholarship in the country. And it could be yours.
A Scholarship will provide Scholars with:
Where incurred, payment of in-country language training fees up to $1,000.
Where a Scholar will be studying abroad as a fee paying international student the Scholarship will provide payment of up to one Academic Year's international tuition fees to a maximum of $15,000.
Scholars must undertake a study component for 1 – 2 semesters during 2016. Scholars must receive credit at their home university. An internship/mentorship component is strongly encouraged during or after the study component.
Scholarship Programs can be conducted in the following 38 eligible Indo-Pacific Host Locations: Bangladesh, Bhutan, Brunei Darussalam, Burma, Cambodia, China, Cook Islands, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Hong Kong SAR, India, Indonesia, Japan, Kiribati, Laos, Malaysia, Maldives, Marshall Islands, Mongolia, Nauru, Nepal, Niue, Pakistan, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Republic of Korea, Samoa, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu and Vietnam. See New Colombo Plan 2016 host locations.
Favourable consideration during the selection process will be given to those applicants proposing to undertake an Internship and/or Mentorship, before, during, or after the Study component.
All Scholars are eligible for support to undertake language training as part of their Scholarship Program. Where relevant, favourable consideration during the selection process will be given to those applicants seeking language training.
Application and Selection Process
17 May 2015
18 May to 31 May
Applications assessed and students notified
3 August to 31 August
UoN nominates provisional candidates to the Australian Government
3 August to 31 August
Nominated students receive application guidance and an invitation to complete an online application form. Applicants complete their application and gather supporting documentation
31 August 2015
Applications close at 11.59pm Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST)
Applications are shortlisted and shortlisted applicants are notified
September to October 2015
Shortlisted applicants are interviewed
Selections are finalised and the Minister for Foreign Affairs and the Minister for Education and Training are notified of selection outcomes. All successful and unsuccessful applicants are notified of the outcome of their application
Details of successful Scholars published on website, as per Commonwealth Grants Rules and Guidelines requirements
1 January to 31 December 2016
Successful Scholars leave for their Scholarship Program
How to Apply
Please fill out the following University of Newcastle Expression of Interest by Sunday 17 May 2015.
Before submitting your expression of interest, please read through the New Colombo Plan Guidelines
To complete this Expression of Interest, you will be required to provide personal information and answers to the following questions:
- Your preferred overseas study destination.
- The type of internship / mentorship you would like to undertake.
- Selection Criteria 1: Academic awards at the tertiary level and/or university commendations (40% weighting based on academic excellence).
- Selection Criteria 2: Please outline your demonstrated leadership in the local community. (30% weighting) (You may consider including roles within the university (eg. member of student club), within your local community (eg. sporting; not for profit; religious; or arts organisations) or overseas (eg. volunteering or not for profit work).
- Selection Criteria 3: Ability to adapt and operate in new or changing environments and understanding of how the proposed Scholarship Program will enhance cultural awareness (15 per cent weighting)
- [Note: Assessment of this criterion will relate to your potential to undertake successfully, and gain maximum advantage from, a study experience in an Indo‑Pacific location.]
- Selection Criteria 4: Ability to contribute to New Colombo Plan goals through the Scholarship Program (15 per cent weighting)
[Note: Assessment of this criterion will relate to the depth of your understanding of New Colombo Plan goals, and how their proposed Scholarship Program would contribute to your future goals and the goals of the New Colombo Plan.]
It is advised that you draft responses to the above questions, prior to continuing.
Tips on selecting a study location
When searching for a suitable study location the following factors should be considered:
- Which universities on the Exchange Partners webpage are located in my preferred country?
- Does the location have courses in my degree?
- Are the courses taught in English?
Locations not listed on our exchange partner's website are not excluded. If there is another location you would like to study, please write the location down on the expression of interest.