At the placement
- University student ID should be worn during School/Service visits and placements.
- Students must present the following to the School/Service prior to commencing any professional experience placement:
- Current Working with Children Check
- Current Child Protection Training Certificate
- Current Anaphylaxis Certificate
- Students must adhere to all School/Service policies and procedures.
- Students must keep their email and internet usage to a minimum and relevant to their professional experience.
- Student teachers should dress in a way which is acceptable to other members of staff and the community of the School/Service.
- Students must maintain a high level of professionalism during the placement. They should maintain confidentiality about their experiences and be judicious about information conveyed to others outside the professional experience setting.
- Students are allowed to participate in School excursions in which the normal teaching class is involved; however students must not use their own private vehicle to transfer school students.
Illness or injury absence
An incident is something that results in (or potentially results in) harm to yourself or others. it can include physical injury or psychological damage. in the event of an incident occurring while you are on placement, you must not ignore it. You should:
- Seek medical attention where appropriate.
- Follow the School/Service incident response and reporting procedure.
- Contact your School/Service Placement Supervisor, Course Coordinator and the Professional Experience Unit or 49215497
- Report the Incident to University of Newcastle Work, Health and Safety team via the Online Incident Reporting web page. Click on the LOG AN INCIDENT NOW and complete the online form.
A satisfactory report, indicating that the student has successfully completed the placement, and a teaching portfolio (where required) are essential criteria for passing the professional experience course. Students must attain a pass in these items in order to be eligible to pass the course.
Reports are completed online via the SONIA placement system.