We are inviting all women (undergraduate and postgraduate) studying commerce, business, innovation or law to participate in the Empower Network.
You are able to remain in the Network for the duration of your degree, meaning throughout your time at university the network will provide the opportunity to connect with industry professionals and be an ongoing source of information and support. After graduation, you will have the option of transferring your membership to an industry professional.
The Network also provides the opportunity to develop your leadership skills by sharing your experiences with young women in high school.
You will benefit from:
- Connections with industry professionals at all stages of their career
- Exposure to professional networks
- A greater understanding of the work environment
- Being guided, and given direction in career development
- Developing your own leadership skills as you interact with high school students.
As a University Student member of the EMPOWER Network you have the option to:
- Attend the Empower Network events (up to four per year) that are designed to provide a platform for connection with university students and other industry professionals. We aim for these events to create the opportunity for informal connections to be made, either through coffee catch-ups, shadowing, or a workplace visit.
- Participate in the schools component of the program
- Visit a school to speak to class groups related to your area of study (Business studies/ Legal Studies/ Commerce) and work with the university to develop suitable content for these presentations.
- Attend a university event where you would be asked to speak or be a tour guide, sharing your experiences with high school students.
Empower Professional Development Assistance Grant
The Empower Professional Development Assistance Grant assists University Student members with the cost of attending professional development activities that align with the Network’s aims. Professional development activities include but are not limited to student conferences, software workshops and leadership courses.
Five individual grants are available of up to $500 each in Semester 2, 2020.
Complete applications must be received by Wednesday 30th September.
The Network seeks an equitable distribution of grants among the various discipline areas in the Faculty of Business and Law.
Please read the Professional Development Assistance Grant Guidelines document thoroughly before completing an application. The link to the Application Form is located within the Guidelines document.Sign Up To the network
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.