Food for Kids: A Parents' Guide
Duration: 3 weeks | Effort: 2-3 hours per week | Cost: FREE - Certificate for US$49 | Subject: Food & Nutrition | Level: Introductory
It can be hard for parents to work out how much and what type of food to feed their children. Which parenting strategies can help kids to enjoy vegetables, healthy snacks and new foods? Join us in Food for Kids: A Parents' Guide as we answer these tricky questions.
About this course
In this course, we will look at what is actually in food, why we need it, and how we identify healthy choices.
We will cover food-based guidelines to support the development of healthy eating for primary school-aged children. We will also discuss food marketing and health messages, as well as sustainable eating.
The course will also cover common food-related behaviours in children and strategies to assist parents in child feeding. This includes advice for managing picky eaters, meal planning and healthy options for family meals.
This course has a partner course called Food for Kids: Discovering Healthy Eating which is for primary school-aged children.
What you'll learn
- What is in food and drinks and how they influence growth and development
- How much and which foods are enough for children to meet nutrition guidelines
- Nutrient intake targets for children
- How health messages and food marketing influence children
- Managing common food behaviours during childhood
- Practical guidance toward healthy household eating habits.
Week 1 - What is in Food?
Week 2 - Positive Food Communication
Week 3 - Practising Healthy Eating at Home
- Online Free Course