Innovative Design Course: City by Design
Wednesday, 10 April 2019, 05:00 am — Wednesday, 10 April 2019, 05:00 pm
Why do some Sydneysiders and Australians laud the beauty of global cities from New York, Berlin, Bruges, and Montreal to Auckland and criticise the cities they live in? While there is universal acceptance of the natural advantage of many Australian cities and beyond, we still have a way to go to maximise the benefits of both their natural and built environments. This innovative design course will appraise the elements of the Great Global Cities and compare these to those of our own. While Australian governments are investing heavily in infrastructure, city and urban design has a critical role to play in their future liveability. This course will draw on a body of research to demonstrate how our cities can deliver an impressive array of benefits including promoting jobs growth, places for all generations to live, work and play as well as gain global recognition.
This innovative design course is suitable for planning, design and city professionals elected and administrative, as well as engaged residents who wish to make input into city design.
At the completion of this innovative design course participants will be able to:
- Understand and articulate the benefits of city design ranging from health and well-being to climate change, tourism, housing, workspaces.
- Determine the most likely intermediate and long term planning and design risks.
- Articulate plausible approaches for mitigation and adaptation for anticipated planning and design risks.
- Understand the cost-benefits of alternative approaches to dealing with medium- and longer-term climate risks.
- Develop a climate change risk-adaptation matric for their jurisdiction or location of choice.
This innovative design course focuses will cover the following content:
- Seminar and discussion on threats to selected cities and regions in Australia and how these might be turned around through good design.
- Workshop on primary adaptation approaches for selected major risks to several selected urban areas.
- Examination of climate change risk and action.
- Develop adaptation plans, and how they can be designed and developed by any city.
In this innovative design course participants will have the opportunity to work in teams to construct a climate risk analysis and develop in each team a sketch risk-reduction/adaptation strategy for a sample city.
Participant teams will:
- develop place-making design.
- articulate and pitch a rationale for re-design of localities based on size and location based on workshop principles.
- identify and design elements of the core city plan.
- create an approach to use current and modified resources to make an attractive core place – another for a city or regional community.
- suggest ideas of how to overcome local barriers.
The project will be based on participant contribution and feedback of fellow participants as well as instructor and co-staff:
- Identify the 10 elements of great cities;
- Determine how these elements can be recognised or installed in cities of any size;
- Understand the barriers to achieving great design and social outcomes in cities;
- Know how a professional or nonprofessional can assist in generating the local capacity for greatness in any city. And
- Develop an action plan for designing and/or implementing some elements of greatness in a city that the student cares about personally or professionally.
This innovative design course is suitable for for planning, design and city professionals elected and administrative as well as engaged residents who wish to make input into city building no matter where they live.
This innovative design course will be delivered as an interactive workshop consisting of an instructor-led lecture and group project.
This innovative design course has no prerequisites and is open to all members of the public.
$895.00 GST free
Wed 10 Apr 2019 9:00AM - 5:00PM
Room to be advised, Sydney Campus
Additional instances of this course may be available and published on our website. See Innovative Design Course: City by Design for more information, or to join the waiting list and be advised when we schedule more.