Natural History Illustration brings together three main subjects - art, science and the environment, with careers in areas such as medical illustration, archaeology, botanics and environmental conservation.
The Bachelor of Natural History Illustration at UON is for drawing and digital illustration enthusiasts who are fascinated by the natural world. Designed to be a bridge between art and science, it relies on scientific accuracy and meticulous attention to detail. Learn a range of traditional and modern techniques enabling you to creatively bring objects to life through artistic representation.
Why study with us?
- One-of-a-kind degree: the only Natural History Illustration degree in Australia and one of only a few in the world.
- Exciting careers: work opportunities exist in areas such as publishing, education, medicine, scientific research, archaeology, libraries, galleries and museums.
- Graduate with a professional portfolio: build up your illustration portfolio with assignments, showcases and projects with partners, creating a body of work that could help you get a job after you graduate.
- Learn hands-on using world-class facilities including the Specimen Collection and Wildlife Lab. Studies are mostly taught through studio learning and field trips.
- Benefit from strong networks: learn from teachers who are well-known illustrators and work on your major project with our industry partners, including the Australian Museum, Australian Reptile Park, Royal Botanic Gardens and the Wetlands Centre.