Study Writing Studies at UON
The Writing Studies minor was developed in response to increasing employer demand for graduates with advanced writing skills. Likewise, there has been a persistent and strong call from UON students for more courses within this study area.
The Writing Studies minor also provides practice-based study within this degree for students who wish to pursue Creative Writing opportunities across literary genres. Students will develop skills in communication, including creative and expository writing, as well as analysis and critique.
English Language and Literature at UON consistently ranks in the top 200 internationally , so you can be guaranteed that your studies and your teachers are at par with the world’s best. This new Minor has been designed so that your studies are underpinned by both interdisciplinary experiences and research-led learning.
What jobs can you get with a minor in Writing Studies?
Gain a highly valued skillset that enables you to enjoy wider employment opportunities across diverse industries, opening doors throughout your professional career. Develop globally transferrable, advanced writing skills across various forms, which includes:
- Non-fiction writing
- Editing and
You can take your creative and analytical skills into a variety of career paths, including:
- Business Management
Suitable for Global Indigenous Studies students with?
- An interest in learning about the writing process, and how to produce literature in various forms.
- Goals to work in a career that values strong writing skills, such as business, education and research.
- The desire to write short and long form pieces infused with meaning, drawing upon established themes in a chosen genre.
What do you learn in a Writing Studies minor?
Writing Studies is a minor offering students an interdisciplinary study pathway, drawing heavily upon English Literature courses. You’ll have the opportunity to study:
- Writing Skills: Students will learn the basic forms and techniques required for work in journalism and public relations. As part of your study, you will examine examples of professional writing, produced in a variety of contexts.
- Short Fiction: If you are aiming to write a strong first fiction, or are attempting fiction writing for the first time, this course will be an asset to your study. Students will study exemplary texts to identify forms, features and available narrative options. You will also learn about the revision process and how to polish your writing from a rough draft to a finished piece.
- Creative Non-Fiction: For writers who prefer to focus on the “real”, you can study the literary memoir, personal essay and travel writing, among other forms. You will learn to apply your writing skills to factual content in a creative way, producing a blended product.
Which degrees include a Writing Studies minor?
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.