Study Human Services at UON
A major in Human Services gives you the opportunity to study policy and practice in welfare, education and community services. This major is suited to students with an interest in supporting individuals, families and communities. It will equip you with the skills and knowledge to help bring about social change and development and make a real difference to people's lives. In studying this major, you will benefit from a problem-based approach which values real-life examples and work-related tasks.
What jobs can you get with a major in Human Services?
An emerging field for Human Services graduates is the private business sector where there is work in human relations and skills training. Graduates with a human services major may find rewarding work which may include:
- research assistant to a sitting politician
- social policy researcher or community development worker
- policy developer or analyst
- positions in aged care services, housing and services to the homeless
- community development and social planning roles
- youth, drug and alcohol intervention
- roles involving support and outreach to the mentally ill
- providing support to migrants and refugees
There are also jobs in not-for-profit and community-based services focused on offering support and intervention for:
- child protection and refuge care
- children and youths
- specialist services reaching out to ethnically marginalised groups, gays and lesbians, bisexual and transgender clients
- survivors of domestic violence
- the aged
Suitable for Global Indigenous Studies students with?
- An interest in welfare, education and community services.
- Goals to support individuals, families and communities and make a difference to people’s lives.
- A commitment to bringing about social change and development.
What do you learn in a Human Services major?
This major contains a variety of courses to focus your studies around:
- Human Relationships: Through courses in human services you will learn how to support relationships between individuals, families and communities.
- Public Outreach: Our courses will prepare you with the skills and knowledge to support and tackle the major challenges in people’s lives.
Which degrees include a Human Services major?