Film, Media and Cultural Studies
Study Film, Media & Cultural Studies at UON
Square eyes and film buffs will no doubt be drawn to the idea of devoting study to their favourite leisure activity. When you study a Film, Media and Cultural Studies major you will learn about our culture and key questions concerning media and communication in an era of rapid technological change.
You will look at the production and circulation of a wide range of cultural forms from classic Hollywood cinema to your own blogs and tweets. You will consider the institutions and practices that shape media as a source of information and expression and study courses which explore:
- Audiences and consumption
- Gender and sexuality
- Social media and digital labour
- Representation and spectatorship in film and television
- Music and culture
These courses offer opportunities to contextualise and theorise your own experiences as both consumers and producers of popular culture which is the culture of the 'now'.
What jobs can you get with a major in Film, Media & Cultural Studies?
Within your major you will learn how to develop and complete media projects and have the opportunity to build high-level skills in information and digital literacy. Your courses in film, media and cultural studies will teach you a range of industry specific and transferable skills, such as:
- Complex analysis
- Critical thinking
- Research skills
These skills will allow you to work in a range of fields including:
- Film production
- Television production
- Social media
Our academic staff are active researchers in contemporary film and cultural studies, with particular strengths in film theory, television, gender and the media, popular culture, the internet and new media technologies. They are some of the best in their fields, and can actively contribute to your professional development, preparing you for work in your desired career.
Suitable for Global Indigenous Studies students with?
- An interest in understanding how cultures communicate and express ideas through film and media.
- Goals to work in contexts where media forms are produced, studied or analysed.
- A commitment to learning about how humans experience media in different contexts.
What do you learn in a Film, Media & Cultural Studies major?
Study a major in film, media and cultural studies to learn about cultural expression through various media forms:
- Film and Culture: Students will learn the theoretical approaches to film as a form of media and expression. They will study the role of film in society, the structures which define the practice of filmmaking and the changing ways we consume film content.
- Social Media: Courses in social media and digital culture will teach students to examine networked communication from a cultural perspective. Students will learn about the place of social media in society, its uses, and its challenges.
- Music: If you choose to study music as part of your major you will focus on how music is experienced as both a form of entertainment, and an expressive form for youth. You will learn how to analyse music as a conduit of messaging between the artist and the listener.
Which degrees include a Film, Media & Cultural Studies major?
You can study this major if you are undertaking one of the following degrees at UON: