Study Business Studies for Secondary Education
Combine your passions for education and business with a teaching area in teaching Business Studies, through our Bachelor of Education (Secondary) degree. You will be equipped with the knowledge and skills to teach HSC Business Studies, as well as junior elective courses.
Studying the Business Studies teaching area within the Bachelor of Education (Secondary) degree at the University of Newcastle will give you a broad understanding of Australian and global business practices and environments.
In general, when you choose Business Studies as your core teaching area, you will learn the expertise and skills to teach secondary school students about:
- the nature and role of business
- internal and external environmental factors
- business processes
- management responsibilities
Add another dimension to your specialist expertise and gain another teaching area to increase your career opportunities. Those interested in Business Studies may also be interested in Economics and/or Legal Studies Teaching Areas.
What jobs can you get with a teaching area in Business Studies?
Studying Business Studies as one of your core teaching areas will prepare you to teach junior and senior secondary school business courses. You may find work in:
- High school teaching
- Educational policy development
- Research and analysis
Throughout your teaching area, you will also develop a number business-related skills which can be transferred into the business and administration sectors. You may pursue a career in sectors such as management, human resources or marketing.
Suitable for education and teaching students with:
- An interest in learning about the practice and language of business.
- Goals to apply their knowledge of business to a teaching career in a secondary school.
- A commitment to reviewing and improving business models, practices and procedures, and communicating about these changes to a high school class.
What do you learn in a Business Studies teaching area?
Our Business Studies teaching area is designed to prepare students to teach the HSC course, and related topics in Junior elective classes. We offer courses in:
- Business Practices: Students will study courses in the foundation principles of business. You will learn about the ingredients of a successful new business venture, including the initial business idea, available resources, entrepreneurial drive and marketable products.
- Business Management: In the second and third years of your teaching area, you will learn about the practice and theory behind business management. Your courses will focus on leadership, decision making, how to handle uncertainty and knowledge access. This will prepare you to assess the performance of your high school classes in the areas of managerial practice and thinking.
- Marketing: As part of your teaching area you will be able to specialise in marketing. Students will learn about popular traditional and digital marketing strategies, studying how to design and conduct marketing campaigns. You will also review how to assess the success of a marketing campaign from a variety of angles including profit, online traffic, increased social following and brand awareness.
Which degrees include this teaching area?
The Bachelor of Education (Secondary) and any associated degree program allows you to study a teaching area in Business Studies.
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.