Tourism & Event Management Major
A major in tourism and event management provides career pathways into the complex global tourism industry and the dynamic events industry. In this major students will attain specialised knowledge on sustainability and sustainable development – knowledge that underpins the planning and delivery of tourism and events at local and global destinations.
The learning experience in the tourism and event management major is research-informed and industry-relevant. Students will gain analytical skills and develop knowledge across strategic, entrepreneurial and operational levels. Student learning is enhanced through engagement with case studies of organisations and destinations, industry guest lectures, local and regional field trips, and work integrated learning through assessment activities.
Suitable for business students with:
- An interest in learning how visitors engage with activities, sites and events aimed at the leisure and tourist market and the broader visitor economy.
- Goals to work in national or international strategic tourism and event management positions.
- A commitment to studying the leisure industries and how sustainable tourism and events work to shape communities and societies.
- An interest in planning and managing events, marketing tourist attractions and tourism destinations, designing service operations, and the business/consumer interface in tourism and events.
What do you learn in the tourism major?
This business major contains a variety of courses to help you learn about how business is conducted within the sector.
- Tourism Management: Students will study courses in tourism management and learn how to organise, manage and market tourism businesses and destinations.
- Events Management: Students will study courses that examine all areas of events operations management to provide strategic management and leadership knowledge and skills.
- Leisure and Engagement: The leisure sector is multi-dimensional and one of the world’s largest economic activities. Students will study leisure behaviour and the key principles of leisure service design.
- Sustainability: Sustainability is key to managing tourism and event organisations and destinations. Students will learn current practices and emerging trends in these dynamic industries.
Which degrees include this major?
The Bachelor of Business and any associated degree program allow you to study a Tourism major:
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.