STEMM Building Updates
What's it all about?
Across our Callaghan campus, we are upgrading our STEMM facilities. This includes the upgrading of existing buildings, and the construction of new buildings. Once complete, the STEMM Facility and surrounding precinct will embed new ways of learning, teaching and research that span the STEMM disciplines.
Projects of this scale can have a significant impact on how you make you way around campus, so we will be updating this page at each stage of the project to keep you aware and help you plan ahead.
What's happening now?
The Enabling Works program for the STEMM Building and surrounding precinct began in October 2019. Workers have established a site compound on the eastern side of the ICT carpark where machinery, equipment and materials will be stored for the duration of this stage of the construction program.
Trenching work has begun near the Great Hall, McMullin Building and Theatre, and the Drama Theatre. This will be completed in early-March 2020.
From late-February to early-April, trenching work will continue past the Sciences buildings (Earth, Theatre, Physics, Chemistry and Life Sciences) and towards the Shortland Building.
Tree removal and tree chipping works will be conducted between Tuesday 7th and Wednesday 29th January 2020.
You can view a map of the tree removal sites here.
How will it affect me?
- Access to parking near the ICT building will be affected due to construction
- There will be additional construction traffic on and around campus, particularly on the Shortland side
- Intermittent service outages are expected as new infrastructure is installed and connected
- Noise and vibration are likely to occur at various stages
What can I do to prepare?
To help you get around campus during this time, please consider:
- Arriving at campus earlier to avoid traffic delays and detours
- Using the free parking at Carpark 16
- Familiarising yourself with any altered footpaths and walkways
Works areas will be barricaded and Traffic Control will be in place for the duration of the works.
How can I find more information?
Please visit the project website to learn more about the project, including the anticipated timeline of works.
You can also email email@example.com
This page will be updated at each stage of the construction project.