Finding work

Work for International Students

International students can only work part-time to comply with their student visa conditions.

The Australian Government allows International Students who hold a student visa to work a maximum of 40 hours per fortnight during semester period and unlimited hours during semester breaks and vacation periods.

Be sure to research all the details relating to your permission to work while on a student visa.

Finding part-time work depends on a number of things, including your English language proficiency and your own motivation to actively search work. Remember to bring relevant documents with you to Australia that may assist you to apply for part-time work, such as reference letters from previous employers.

To be eligible to work in Australia you will need to apply for a Tax File Number (TFN).

For more information, please visit Conditions for Working While Studying by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP).

Minimum wages and enterprise agreements

Be aware of minimum wages and conditions.

Starting Work

Tips on resumes and interviews

To receive assistance with your resume and/or interview techniques either have a one or one or attend a workshop. Go to Careers for more details.

The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.