Level 1 - unfolding concern
- Let the student know that you have noticed their recent struggles and that help is available.
- Explain that seeking help earlier may prevent a problem getting bigger.
- Suggest they contact Student Support Services.
- Teary and anxious in class.
- Overwhelmed by end-of-semester workload and family responsibilities.
- Worried about assessments.
- Stressed about giving presentations.
- Minor relationship ups and downs.
- May withdraw briefly.
- Short-term symptoms such as irritability, low mood, poor sleep.
- Functions okay generally.
- Stress reaction. Normal coping returns once situation resolves.
- Support stress management, problem solving and peer support.
- Encouraging counselling if issues persist.
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.