A - E

1000, 2000 and 3000 level: all the courses that you have enrolled in have a number that refers to the level of the course. 1000 level courses are the introductory level courses and 2000 and 3000 levels are the more advanced level courses.

17000: 17triplezero is the University’s IT Service Portal that can be contacted about any IT questions on campus. Phone (02) 4921 7000 or search '17000' on the uni website.

Adverse Circumstances: If an illness or serious circumstance beyond your control prevents or affects your preparation or performance in an exam or assessment you will need to apply for adverse circumstances. You can do this online through myUoN and can submit supporting documents at Student Central or via email.

AHEGS: Stands for Australian Higher Education Graduation Statement. It is a statement that clearly explains your academic and uni achievements, such as on-campus volunteering and leadership roles. It is designed to make Australian university results more understandable to Australian and overseas employers and overseas higher education institutions.

Assumed Knowledge: for a course refers to the courses you should have successfully completed or knowledge that is recommended you should have acquired before enrolling in the course. Not having the assumed knowledge will not stop you from enrolling in the course.

Blackboard: This is the online home of your course materials. You’ll find course documents uploaded by your lecturers as well as course discussion boards here. This is also where you will submit electronic versions of your assignments.

Capstone course: This can be a core or compulsory course within a program, and is usually completed towards the end of a program. It provides the opportunity for a student to integrate and consolidate knowledge and skills learned throughout the program.

Census Date: The last day you can drop a course without having to pay for it. For a list of important UON dates, click here.

Commission for Working with Children and Young People Declaration: if you are enrolled in a program that requires you to undertake a placement that may bring you into unsupervised contact with children, you must complete a Prohibited Employment Declaration, as required by the Child Protection (Prohibited Employment) Act 1998.

Commonwealth supported student: as a Commonwealth supported student you contribute to the cost of your tuition through a student contribution (HECS), while the Government pays the remainder.

Compulsory course: is a course within a major, minor or specialisation, which is essential and must be satisfactorily completed to fulfil the requirements of that major, minor or specialisation.

Compulsory course requirement: is an assessment item or other element in a course which must be satisfactorily completed before a pass mark (or greater) can be awarded for the course. For example, 'Compulsory course requirements for HUBS1416 - Formal Examination: Pass Requirement - Students must pass this assessment item to pass the course'.

Compulsory program requirement: is a course or other element in a program which is required to be completed satisfactorily to either progress in the program or satisfy program requirements. For example, 'Compulsory Program Requirements for the Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) programs – students must complete at least 12 weeks of industrial experience to be awarded this degree.’

Core course: A compulsory subject that must be successfully completed in order to fulfil the requirements of a degree.

Course: A subject.

Course Coordinator: Course Coordinators are the head of a course and may sometimes deliver the lectures for your course.

Course outline: A document outlining the learning outcomes, assessments and expectations for a course. It’s one of the first things students receive via Blackboard at the beginning of semester.

Course reader: A course reader is a collection of set readings for any particular course. You can find out whether your courses require you to have one on Blackboard. They are usually available for purchase in the first week of semester in the Brennan room and then in the Print Centre any time after that.

Criminal Record Check: if you are enrolled in a program that requires you to undertake a placement within a NSW Health facility, you will need to obtain a Criminal Record Check before you can commence your placement.

Dean of Students: For students who need help solving an issue at UON, the Dean of Students can offer advice and assist with conflict resolution and complaints.

Directed courses: A directed course is a course chosen from within a list or group of courses. Directed courses usually go towards completing a specific major within a degree, and you will often have a choice of courses to do.

For a list of directed courses for your degree, please see your Program Handbook.

Echo 360: Echo 360 is the lecture capture tool used to record lectures, so that you can go over them again to make sure you didn't miss anything. You can access Echo 360 via UONline (via myUON).

Elective: Electives are courses you can choose outside the core or compulsory (including directed) courses in your degree. They can be chosen from all courses available at the University that do not have any other conditions (such as a program requisite) applied to them.