Academic Success: Skills for Learning and Life
Academic Success: Skills for Learning and Life is a free online course designed to help you set expectations about university life and start developing your academic study skills. Academic Success is free for all new students in their first semester of study. It's a great way to make sure you feel confident for day 1 and prepared for the semester ahead. Find out what's covered in the course and how to access it below.
What's covered in the course?
Module 1: What is higher education for?
The first module focuses on what university is like outside of the classroom. As you work through the first module you will:
- Consider what your first few days will be like
- Find out how to get involved in the campus community through clubs, societies, volunteering and more
- Be introduced to some of the support available to help you successfully complete your studies
- Get tips on how to adjust to living out of home for students moving away for the first time
Module 2: Introduction to student skills
The second module is all about the study skills you will need to help complete your coursework. By the end of the module you will have developed your skills in:
- Assessment planning
- Effective reading
- Academic writing
- Note taking
- Group work
- Time management
How do I access Academic Success?
Academic Success uses Blackboard, the same learning management system that you will use for each of the courses that make up your degree. To access Blackboard:
- Login to myUON
- Select UONline from the Launchpad
- Click on the Blackboard tab at the top of the page
- Select the Academic Success: Skills for Learning and Life link under the 'My Other Sites' heading.
Recognition for completing the course
All students who complete the Academic Success: Skills for Learning course prior to the first day of semester will go into the draw to win a prize.