The University of Newcastle, Australia

Program advice

If you do need help to navigate your program, then it’s best to talk to the experts. Reach out early as there is a team of people as well as online resources to answer any program-related questions and provide advice.

In the first instance try AskUON as it contains hundreds of very specific questions and answers about UON programs and student processes.

Ask us, call us or visit us as Student Central is the first point of call for students.

Your Program Advisor is a specialist who has detailed knowledge about the requirements of your program. They can:

  • Help you to understand the program requirements, rules and structure.
  • Provide advice about choosing courses within your program.
  • Check your academic progress.
  • Work together with your Program Convenor to manage student enrolment and progression in line with the University’s policies and procedures.
  • Determine that you have successfully met the requirements of your program and are ready to graduate.

The best way to contact your Program Advisor is via email:

Program Advisors are also accessible via Student Central on campus and appointments can be made for more detailed advice.

Find your Program Advisor:

Your Program Convenor is the academic who has overall responsibility for the management and quality of your UON program. They engage with students to:

  • provide an approachable and supportive learning environment
  • respond to student feedback about programs
  • Support student experiences by working together with your Program Advisors to determine enrolment patterns, credit, progress and all other program related arrangements, in line with the University’s policies and procedures.

Find your Program Convenor

Student Progress Advisors provide advice and support throughout your studies. They are there to:

  • help you create an individual plan for success at UON
  • refer you to other relevant support services
  • check-in with you from time-to-time so that you stay on track
  • talk about options if you want to take a break from your studies
  • provide specialist advice to international students about rights, responsibilities and visa requirements

Student Progress Advisors are all members of the ALLY Network. An ALLY is a staff member on campus who is trained to be aware of for the issues faced by members of the LGBTIQ community and to advocate on their behalf. Visit the ALLY page for more information on the ALLY network.

The best way to contact your Student Progress Advisor is via email: They are also accessible via Student Central on campus and if necessary, an appointment can be made for more detailed advice.

You might be wondering if your program will take your career in the right direction. If so, then checking in with a Careers Consultant is the best option.

Careers and Student Development is accessible online or by dropping into Student Central – Hunter, Ourimbah or City.