Your graduation package includes:
- academic dress hire: gown, hood and bonnet (if applicable)
- your trencher (black cap) as a memento
- seating for you and up to four guests* at the ceremony
- tickets for you and up to four guests* to the reception
Access to a copy of the photograph of you accepting your testamur from the Chancellor on the Graduation Photography Facebook page (an email will be sent to your preferred email account after your ceremony advising you how to access the photo).
*Due to venue capacity, guest tickets are limited.
The approved University of Newcastle academic dress includes a gown, and if appropriate, a hood and trencher (cap).
You will need to pay for the hire of your academic dress online through the graduation registration system at the same time you register. Academic dress hire terms and conditions (for Australian ceremonies) can also be viewed online before payment has been processed. Contact Academic Dress Hire if you wish to purchase all or part of your academic dress, which will reduce the price of your graduation package.
Academic dress collection and return
Port Macquarie Graduation Ceremony, 4 February 2020
On the day of your ceremony, Academic Dress may be collected from the Registration Desk on level 2 of the Glasshouse.
Returning Academic Dress
You must return your academic dress on the day of graduation, before leaving the venue.
Return Late Fee - If any items are returned after the time stated, the customer agrees to pay an additional hiring fee of $50* per day until all items have been returned or, where necessary, replaced. This amount will not exceed $662* and will be charged to your credit card account as submitted.
Please read the terms and conditions of hire
Your graduation package includes tickets for you and up to four guests to both the ceremony and the reception.
Please note: due to venue capacity, guest tickets are limited, so additional guest tickets may be limited or not available for all ceremonies.
Order of ceremony events
- The Master of Ceremonies will announce the imminent commencement of the ceremony
- The University Fanfare will herald the entry of the Dais Party
- The assembly will rise and remain standing until the conclusion of the National Anthems
- The Chancellor will declare the proceedings open
- The Vice-Chancellor will introduce the Occasional Speaker
- The Occasional Address will be delivered
- The first set of degree recipients will be presented
- The Musical Interlude will be performed
- The second set of degree recipients will be presented
- The Chancellor will invite a nominated student from to speak on behalf of the graduates
- The proceedings will be declared concluded
- The Dais Party and assembly will rise as the University Fanfare is sounded and the Dais Party process from the stage.
Graduation ceremonies usually last for one to one and a half hours, depending on the number of graduates.
Following the ceremony, you and your guests are invited to the graduation reception.
Lasting approximately 90 minutes, there is finger food and the opportunity to have professional photographs taken.
The reception is held on the mezzanine level of the Glasshouse Arts, Conference and Entertainment Centre.
A professional photographer will be present at your ceremony, taking official photographs, as well as social shots.
All graduates will have a handshake photograph taken as you receive your testamur, while you can also order a professional portrait be taken of you.
To pre-order a portrait, including discount pricing, or to order your handshake photograph, head to Graduation Photography’s dedicated University of Newcastle page.
For more information, contact Graduation Photography:
1004 Victoria Road,
West Ryde NSW 2114
+61 2 9804 7777
Memorabilia and framing
At your graduation ceremony, you will have the opportunity to purchase University memorabilia, as well as order a plaque of your testamur or have it framed. If you decide to purchase a plaque or frame your testamur after the ceremony, contact Jackson Frames:
Unit 36, 6 Jubilee Avenue,
Warriewood NSW 2102
+61 2 9999 1805
Past graduation ceremonies
The University produces world-class graduates and alumni and we are proud to have records of graduation ceremonies dating back more than six decades.
What’s more, these ceremonies have featured some outstanding guest speakers – including a state premier, a justice of the high court, several globally renowned authors and academics, and even the odd film star – who gave the kind of inspirational speeches that shook the walls.
- Occasional Speakers at Graduation Ceremonies 1970-present (PDF, 682.1 KB)
The University has books of previous graduation ceremonies dating back to 1953. For ceremonies from 2010 onward, head to the graduation documents and books page.
Graduation Books from 1953 to 2009 are available on the Living Histories @ UON site.
Live streams of ceremonies (Callaghan and Central Coast Campuses only) dating back to 2017 can be found on the University website.