Centrelink payments

Students going on an overseas experience that currently receive Centrelink payments, may be eligible for payments while overseas. Before going overseas, students are responsible for checking the centrelink requirements.

You will be required to provide centrelink with proof of your overseas experience.

Semester Exchange / Academic Short Course
Please fill out the official  Confirmation Letter - exchange and short courses and either bring it to the Global Office along with your signed credit agreement or email it to study-overseas@newcastle.edu.au. The letter must be typed. See example.

The UON Global Office will confirm your information and stamp your letter for you to provide to centrelink.

For students undertaking a semester exchange, students must be enrolled full time in the special exchange codes.

Placements / Internships / Academic Study Tours
Please fill out the official Confirmation letter - placements and study tours and provide it to your Course Coordinator / Convenor. Alternatively, you can bring it into the UON Global Office or email it to study-overseas@newcastle.edu.au with evidence that your experience is counting towards your degree. The letter must be typed. See example.

More information on centrelink payments while outside Australia, and registering online prior to leaving, can be found here.

Tip: Provide Centrelink with a nominated person in Australia who can talk to Centrelink while you are overseas.

The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.