Safety and Security Services
The University provides trained security officers to help ensure you and your property are safe on campus. If you are feeling threatened or are concerned by something you have seen or experienced, so something just does not feel right, our Safety and Security Services team are here to help.
If it is a life threatening emergency always call emergency services (Police, Fire, Ambulance) on 000 first otherwise call the Safety and Security Services team.
|Callaghan Campus||(02) 4921 5888|
|Newcastle City Campus||(02) 4921 7962|
|Ourimbah Campus (Central Coast)||(02) 4348 4222|
|Port Macquarie Campus||0412 595 054|
|Sydney Campus||(02) 8262 6488|
Your part of a safe community. If you are feeling stressed or anxious there are counselling and support services to help you cope.
SERVICES WE PROVIDE
The Safety and Security Services team are here to help. Your safety and the security of the university’s property is a significant Importance to us. Areas that we are responsible for include:
- Protection of university property and facilities
- Monitoring and response to alarms and security help points
- Providing first aid and emergency assistance
- Monitoring of CCTV
- Visible presence on campus through vehicle patrols and foot patrols
- Emergency response
- Operation of the security shuttle bus service (day and night time service)
- After dark safe walk service on-campus
- Enforcing of parking regulations on-campus
- Management of lost property
- Education and awareness of good personal safety and security practices
- Building access
- Responding to snakes, wildlife and other animals on-campus
WHAT TO DO IN AN EMERGENCY
In the event of an emergency call the emergency services on '000' and also call campus security on the number relevant to the campus the emergency is occurring. In an emergency our Safety and Security Services Team act as the Chief Warden until emergency services arrive. For more information on what to do in an emergency click here.
REPORTING AN INCIDENT
It takes a community to build a safer campus. If you notice anything suspicious, witness a crime or incident in progress or something just does not feel right, let us know. You can report any immediate security incident by calling Safety and Security Services or using a security help phone. You can also send us an email and we will look into it and make sure everything is OK.
An incident can include:
- Personal harm to self or others (including physical, threats etc.)
- Property events (including theft and damage)
- Suspicious or concerning behaviour / activity
- Crimes which are in progress
Our Safety and Security Services team are committed to the safety of everyone on our campuses but we all need to work together to ensure a safe campus community.
TOOLS AND RESOURCES
We have a range of handy tips and advice, fact sheets, maps and videos to assist you stay safe on-campus.
The health and safety of our students is extremely important. Click here for more information on how you can be a good human.
BOOK A SAFETY AND SECURITY PRESENTATION
Our team can provide a 30 minute safety awareness presentation to students and staff. The talks are particularly helpful as part of an induction or orientation process as they can familiarise you with the services we provide, how to contact us and also provide a range of tips and advice on:
- how you can stay safe whilst on and off campus
- how to get help during an emergency
- support programs in place for victims of crime.
Email us if you have a student event and would like to have a Safety and Security officer present to your group.