Active Travel focuses on physical activity (walking, cycling, and the use of public transport) as your transport mode as opposed to driving your car. It has great health, financial and environmental benefits plus you will also help our community by easing congestion on the transport network and reduce the environmental impacts associated.
Walking is great exercise and is one of the best exercises for your complete health (physical, mental and social well-being).
Cycling and bike hubs
Cycling 101 helps get you back into the seat with a snap shot of cycling and bike information.
There are multiple secure, undercover bike hubs with end of trip facilities and bike repair equipment at our Callaghan and City campuses that are open 24/7. Check the campus maps for their location.
The facilities include storage racks, lockers and showers.
You need to swipe your student card to gain entry to the hubs.
Travelling to Callaghan
Active travel guides
There are a number of active travel guides to get you to the Callaghan campus. These guides also have interactive maps through google maps.
- Adamstown / Kotara (pdf, 437.4 KB)
- Charlestown (pdf, 330.6 KB)
- East Maitland / Ashtonfield (pdf, 383.2 KB)
- Glendale (pdf, 380.5 KB)
- Hamilton (pdf, 432.0 KB)
- John Hunter Hospital (pdf, 335.8 KB)
- Lambton (pdf, 356.0 KB)
- Mayfield / Waratah (pdf, 358.9 KB)
- Merewether / The Junction (pdf, 453.3 KB)
- Newcastle / Cooks Hill (pdf, 447.1 KB)
- Raymond Terrace / Medowie (pdf, 345.9 KB)
- Swansea / Belmont (pdf, 299.2 KB)
- Wallsend (pdf, 343.5 KB)
- Warners Bay / Eleebana (pdf, 406.3 KB)
- West Lake Macquarie - Fassifern (pdf, 358.6 KB)
- West Lake Macquarie - Morriset (pdf, 364.3 KB)
- West Lake Macquarie - Toronto (pdf, 309.8 KB)
Travelling to City Campus
Active travel guides
Active Travel is a mode of transport which involves physical activity such as walking or riding a bike, scooter or skateboard. Public transport is also considered active travel especially if you walk to or from your pick up or set down point.
A range of Active Travel Guides have been created to assist you in finding your way to the City campus.
- Adamstown (pdf, 437.4 KB)
- Broadmeadow / Hamilton (pdf, 287.7 KB)
- Charlestown (pdf, 345.1 KB)
- Glendale (pdf, 417.8 KB)
- Kotara / Adamstown Heights (pdf, 270.3 KB)
- Lambton (pdf, 421.9 KB)
- Maitland (pdf, 404.4 KB)
- Mayfield (pdf, 304.0 KB)
- Merewether / The Junction (pdf, 264.0 KB)
- Newcastle West / East End / Hamilton South (pdf, 360.1 KB)
- New Lambton (pdf, 299.5 KB)
- Redhead / Dudley (pdf, 301.7 KB)
- Tighes Hill / Maryville / Carrington (pdf, 365.2 KB)
- Swansea (pdf, 258.1 KB)
- Waratah / Georgetown (pdf, 285.8 KB)
- Warners Bay (pdf, 377.6 KB)
- West Lake Macquarie - from Fassifern station (pdf, 344.4 KB)
- West Lake Macquarie - from Morriset station (pdf, 337.5 KB)
End of trip facilities
Located in the former loading dock of University House are modern end-of-trip facilities with showers, lockers and secure bike storage for over 215 bikes. There are 20 showers with private change spaces and over 215 personal use lockers for use by students and staff. Lockers are available on a first-come basis, and operated with a personally chosen pin that will reset automatically at midnight. There will be a bike repair stand and bike pump to assist with urgent repairs. These secure facilities are available 24/7 using staff or student ID cards.