Softphone - Cisco Jabber
A softphone will replace your traditional handset. Instead, you will be using software in conjunction with a headset, enabling your phone extension to move with you and your computer or personal device – whether you are at your regular desk, visiting another campus or even working from home.
This new softphone technology not only enables mobility, but also offers some additional collaboration features that traditional handsets cannot.
Some features include
- Look up caller details instantly, including “presence” to see if they are available
- Conference and video calling
- Share your computer screen with others
- Instant messaging via Chat
- Retrieve voicemail through email and/or within the Cisco Jabber application
- Option to use Jabber on your mobile phone (note data charges may apply, see FAQs)
- In addition, it will free some desk space because no bulky handset is required!
How to get a softphone
If you would like to change to a softphone, simply follow these few steps:
- Purchase a headset from UON’s stationery supplier (Winc) through your office administrator, click here for a guide.
- When you receive your headset:
- Download and install the Cisco Jabber app - (installation guide links below)
- Plug in your headset
- Open Cisco Jabber app and log in (once off)
- If you are comfortable with the new technology, disconnect your old handset (click here for a guide), or alternatively submit a request via the IT Service portal.
(Note: Phone drop off points will also be setup in the coming months)
Support and guides
- To get the most out of your new softphone, we have developed some “how to” guides:
- Please click the icon to the right to view FAQs.
Install Jabber on Windows 10 workstations, Windows Phone , Surface Pro
Install Jabber on Mac workstations
Install Jabber on iPhone, iPad
Install Jabber on Android devices (e.g. Samsung Galaxy)
Visit the Jabber knowledge hub in ServiceUON for how to best set up sounds on your computer, transfer calls etc. You can locate these articles by using the Search option at the top right corner of the serviceUON screen. For example, search “jabber sounds” for the best way of setting up sounds on your computer.