UONCapture is the Universities lecture capture and video management system powered by Panopto. The Panopto technology is available in centrally timetabled 40+ seat teaching spaces, and there is desktop recording software available to create instructional resources.
The University updated its Lecture Recording 'All-In' Policy on the 31st of January 2019. Amendments were made to reflect new recording archiving timeframes, new functionality in Panopto and a new requirement to seek permission to reuse lecture recordings as non-face-to-face content.
Some of the benefits of Panopto include:
- Automated: To support the Lecture Recording ‘All-In’ Policy, all timetabled 'Lectures' that occur in equipped centrally timetabled 40+ seat teaching spaces will be automatically scheduled for capture, eliminating the need to request this prior to teaching. Other teaching activities such as ‘Tutorials’, ‘Lectorials’, ‘Seminars’, ‘Workshops’, will need to be OPTed-IN for recording. Contact the Learning Technologies Support Team to request for these activities to be recorded.
- Versatile: Panopto can capture anything on the computer screens (from PowerPoint slides to complex animations), document cameras, and video from just about any camera.
All equipped teaching spaces will have the ability to record each audio/visual device available to use (Lectern PC, document camera, BYOD, microphones). The teaching space will also have a recording light to indicate the state of recording.
Once captured, Panopto processes the recording into an interactive, searchable web format and audio and video podcasts that students can watch on any device.
- Enhanced Student Experience: Students can view and download all recorded video streams, add notes and bookmarks that are timestamped contextually to the video and use Panopto's intelligent search to pinpoint essential moments in the videos.
- LMS Integration: Content created by or uploaded to Panopto will be automatically published to the relevant Course Site(s)** for students to access. Video content can be embedded inline with course materials or be made available as a playlist for students to watch.
- Manageable: Panopto helps ensure that all recordings are captured and stored according to the Universities Lecture Recording ‘All-In’ Policy. A wide range of reports is available to help understand how recordings are consumed and the level of the student's engagement.
Panopto also has both basic and advanced content editing features.
- Searchable: Panopto automatically indexes all of the recordings so that students can find and fast-forward to specific words or phrases in the lecture or navigate to crucial moments via an automatically generated table of contents.
Find out more about Panopto
For sample Panopto videos and presentations, please see:
- 3-Minute Overview of Panopto
- How one professor at Stonehill College is activating her classroom with Panopto
- A sample flipped classroom video recorded with Panopto
- Recording video presentations with Panopto
Other Panopto Resources:
- Flipped Classroom Blogs: Ideas and best practices for flipping your classroom.
- Lecture Recording Blogs: Information and ideas about lecture capture.
- Case Studies: Find out how other educators across the globe are using Panopto.
** Panopto content stored in Course Site folders is retained for a 12 month period and then permanently deleted.
For any questions about Panopto, please contact the Learning Technologies Support Team on extension 17101 or via email: email@example.com
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.