Across the organisation we engage with a wide range of external audiences, in different ways and for various reasons.
There are numerous communications and marketing services available across the University to help get your message out, to promote our great work and to grow our reputation on the world stage.
A full suite of resources (including our logo, images and templates) is available online at the Marketing Resource Centre.
Focus on audience needs
In an effort to make sure the relevant stories and important messages get through to the right people, we focus on the needs of our key audiences first and foremost.
Communicating outside the organisation is a shared responsibility at UON, driven by the area (see below) with the best understanding of the audience - its specific needs and interests. Marketing and Communications works closely with all areas to create a quality result that is consistent with the University's brand identity and strategic direction.
If your story or UON message is for a general or multiple audiences, the Marketing and Communications team will help you determine whether they or another area is best placed to promote your story.
We work hard to attract students from across Australia and around the globe to study at the University of Newcastle. Our commitment to equity in education means we go out of our way to make sure everyone knows about the opportunities for a world-class education at UON, no matter where they are.
The higher education sector is extremely competitive. We target our efforts to attract students based on their specific needs.
Marketing and Communications engages with future domestic undergraduate students (school and non-school leavers), secondary schools and the wider community. The team is responsible for:
- the Future Students section of the website
- events including Open Day and Career expos
- a range of publications
- Future Students Facebook page
- Student Ambassador Program
Faculties also do some of their own more targeted marketing and communications activities, including:
- maintaining content on faculty and degree web pages
- publications and other marketing collateral
- photography and video production
The International Office actively engages in marketing and recruitment activities to promote UON as a great place to study to students overseas. They do this through:
- the International section of the website
- participation in events across the globe
- international partnerships
- promotional materials
Postgraduate Study promotes UoN postgraduate degrees through a range of marketing and communications activities. These include:
- advertising campaigns
- online content
The Office of Graduate Studies works with faculties and divisions, including Marketing and Public Relations, to promote research higher degrees (PhD or Masters) at UoN in a number of ways, including:
- co-ordination of the domestic application process
- the Graduate Research section of the web site
- RHD prospectus
- Three Minute Thesis competition
Ensuring that our outstanding achievements in research and innovation are known internationally, nationally and locally is critical to building our reputation on the world stage. Research Services, working closely with Marketing and Communications, delivers a range of activities including:
- coordination of the Research and Innovation section of the website.
- a suite of Researcher Resources
- media campaigns
- research partnerships.
Our relationships with industry are critical to our ability to drive innovation through research and to deliver a world-class education.
Industry engagement is shared across the University and supported by many areas including the Faculties, Research and Innovation Division, Academic Division, International and Advancement Division, the Research Institutes and PRCs and Newcastle Innovation.
Alumni and Philanthropy
At UON, we value our strong connections with our communities and alumni around the globe. They are some of our greatest ambassadors.
The Alumni team leads, supports and advises on:
- events for alumni in Australia and overseas, including the annual Alumni Awards
- publications for alumni and friends of the University
- direct campaigns with Alumni and friends of the University
- the Engage online community engagement platform.
The Development team leads, supports and advises on:
- seeking philanthropic support from alumni, community, businesses, organisations and industry groups for student scholarships and prizes, research, academic positions and community projects
- encouraging and enabling staff and student giving
- inspiring, leading and empowering faculties and schools in seeking philanthropic support for University priority areas and projects.