The student voice is an important voice in University matters. Student elections ensure that students are able to have a say in important decisions at the University.
UON has a range of opportunities for students to become involved in governance bodies that contribute to the teaching, learning and business of the University. These include, the University Council, Academic Senate, Faculty Boards and our student organisations.
UON seeks students who want to:
- meet new people;
- learn new skills; and
- effect change at the University.
Joining such groups allows you to expand your network and is a great environment in which to learn the various skills which are invaluable once in the workforce, such as:
- team work
- financial management
- committee processes
- understanding of the importance of good governance for the effective running of an organisation
- understanding your role and responsibilities as a director or member of a board or Council
The long‐term benefits of the student governance experience have been proven in various studies that show:
- the positive impact of student involvement is evident in overall student excellence, leadership, job placement and potential job success
- the more a student gets involved in the academic life of an institution, the greater the acquisition of knowledge and development of skills
You will need to attend meetings, read the information and be prepared to discuss items at meetings and share your perspective as a student. Student representatives serve for a period of one year from 1 January to 31 December.
All students eligible to nominate for open positions are sent an email to their student email account at the beginning of each nomination period outlining the nomination process. You will need to fill in a nomination form and send it to the Student Elections team. The process is specified for each election period.
You will be advised of any elections in which you are eligible to vote via email. In the majority of cases, voting occurs through the 'Surveys' function in the myUON portal. This will be confirmed in each election. Your vote is always confidential.
Current Student Elections
There are no student elections currently open. When nominations open, information will be posted below.
As election results are finalised, they will be posted below.
- Read the Student Elections – Frequently Asked Questions (PDF, 111KB),
- Contact UON's Deputy Returning Officer for further information on email@example.com