28 July 2017 Meeting Outcomes
News and updates from UON’s Council Meeting: 28 July 2017
Congratulations to Mr John Bowers, Mr Doug Dean and Mrs Michelle McPherson, who have been reappointed to the Council.
Successful STEM facilities
The Chancellor recently visited a number of key Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics (STEM) buildings and observed the significant diversity of approaches. Key elements of success were observed, including the staff and student interactions and smoothly functioning management systems.
UON win 2017 Eastern University Games and Indigenous UniGames
UON recently celebrated two prestigious sports achievements. In June, a team of UON student-athletes won the 2017 Indigenous Unigames held at Deakin University. In July, UON hosted and won the 2017 Eastern University Games.
UON's impact on the future of Science and Engineering
UON's Science and Engineering Challenge, the nationwide STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) outreach program, is celebrating over half a million program participants since its launch in the year 2000. Students from over 1,100 schools participate in the program, and the University's Chancellor spoke of its impact on inspiring school students to consider a future careers in science and engineering.
Engaging around the globe
The Vice-Chancellor provided an update on emerging strategic issues, overseas engagement in Taiwan, along with the safety and financial performance of the university.
EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEETINGS
Between May and July 2017, the following items were discussed at Executive Committee:
- Planning for the STEMM precinct
- Load planning and growth initiatives for 2017 and forward years
- Development of the Long Term Financial Plan
- Newcastle International College
- Measurement of research engagement and impact from 2018
- NeW Space transition
- Review of the Australian Code for Responsible Conduct of Research.
HEALTH & SAFETY UPDATE
- All Incident Management System (AIMS) - Positive user testing feedback on the replacement online incident management system has been received and is on schedule to launch at the end of August.
- Health & Safety Training - All staff are in the process of updating their online Health and Safety induction. Numerous training workshops have been held across the campus.
- Smoke Free University: After an 18 month campaign and progressive cessation of smoking sites, from 1 July, all UON campuses became ‘smoke free’.
On 6-7 July 2017, the University celebrated the graduation of 800 students from UON and TAFE at the Ourimbah Campus. The Chancellor and Vice-Chancellor joined with University leaders and academic staff to congratulate students from all faculties. Students and their families and friends enjoyed the inspirational remarks from several distinguished occasional speakers, including:
- Alumnus Ms Kerry Stevenson, Executive Director for District Redevelopment with the Central Coast Local Health District;
- Alumnus Ms Liesl Tesch, NSW Member for Gosford and former Paralympian;
- Ms Rhea Barnett, former Open Foundation student now completing her PhD within the collaboration between the UON Centre for Space Physics and the United States Department of Energy at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory in Tennessee; and
- Ms Suzy Miller, Founder, Director and Principal Coach of Leadership Within, an Executive Coaching and Leadership Development business on the Central Coast.
The University’s next major philanthropic challenge will take place in August 2017, when thirty volunteer champions will trek 65km of the Larapinta Trail in Central Australia to raise funds to support Indigenous UON students and research into Indigenous community health initiatives. Champions comprise staff members, including Chief Operating Officer Nat McGregor, alumni, and community members, many of whom are well known and long-time friends of the University (e.g. Associate Professor Peter Waring, Richard Anicich, Glenn Turner and Dr William Tan). With over $97,000 raised thus far, the champions are close to achieving the initial fundraising goal of $100,000. Council members have been invited to attend a ‘send-off’ event for the trekkers on 3 August, where there will be opportunity to wish the volunteers well, donate and offer support.
COUNCIL MEMBERSHIP REAPPOINTMENTS
Mr John Bowers Mr Doug Dean, AM Mrs Michelle McPherson
John and Doug have been reappointed to the Council for a new term of two years commencing 14 August 2017. Michelle has been reappointed for a new term of four years from 1 January 2018.
Student Council member election process
Discussions regarding the student Council member election process were recently held. Calls for nominations will be issued in the week ending 21 July 2017 and the result will be declared by 29 September 2017. The successful candidate will be elected as a student member of Council for a one-year term of office from 1 January 2018.
Respect. Now. Always - National Student Survey Update
Professor Liz Burd, Pro Vice-Chancellor (Learning and Teaching), gave a presentation on the Australian Human Rights Commission Respect. Now. Always. initiative, which has resulted in significant action nationally and across all universities to prevent sexual assault and harassment, and provide greater support for survivors. The Council discussed the various initiatives in place to support students and staff members.
2018 Council Meeting Schedule
The 2018 Council Meeting Schedule was approved by Council.
Download the 2018 Council Meeting Schedule.
Chairs of the seven Council committees provided verbal updates from their respective meetings.
Here's a brief summary of the top level highlights.
Nominations and Legislation Committee
- Discussion about future Council membership.
- Finalisation of Council Governance Review Implementation.
Controlled and Associated Entities Committee
- The Council discussed the Governance Framework for Associated Entities and Third Party Interests.
- The work underway to transition NUsport to a controlled entity.
- Discussion of compliance framework and compliance register.
- Student misconduct report.
- Reports from Human Research Ethics and Animal Care and Ethics committees.
- Update on the Sustainable Investment Beliefs Workshop conducted with members of the executive.
Strategic Development Committee
- Discussion regarding the UON IT Strategy.
- Opportunity to reconsider the University's Environmental Sustainability Plan.
People and Culture Committee
- Discussion regarding the Principles of Collaboration for Council and Senior Management.
- Councillor Protection Deed has been provided to all Council members for execution.
Summary of Council's formal resolutions
ITEM: Chancellor’s Report
Council resolved to note the verbal update from the Chancellor
ITEM: Vice-Chancellor’s Report
Council resolved to note the report from the Vice-Chancellor on strategic issues and activities
ITEM: Council Membership Update
Council resolved to:
1. reappoint Mr John Bowers to the Council, for a new term of two (2) years commencing 14 August 2017;
2. reappoint Mr Doug Dean AM to the Council, for a new term of two (2) years commencing 14 August 2017;
3. reappoint Ms Michelle McPherson to the Council, for a new term of four (4) years commencing 1 January 2018; and
4. note that the election of a student member of Council for a one (1) year term of office from 1 January 2018 will commence with a call for nominations issued in the week ending 21 July 2017 and with the result to be declared by 29 September 2017
ITEM: Respect. Now. Always - National Student Survey Update
Council resolved to:
1. note the update from the Pro Vice-Chancellor Learning and Teaching; and
2. note the progress of the UON Sexual Misconduct Working Group actions, as aligned to the Universities Australia Respect. Now. Always Campaign checklist
ITEM: Governance Rule
Council resolved to note the verbal report from the University Secretary on the Governance Rule.
ITEM: 2018 Council Meeting Schedule
Council resolved to approve the 2018 Meeting Schedule.
ITEM: Academic Senate – President’s Update
Council resolved to note the President of the Academic Senate's verbal report in relation to the Academic Senate meeting held on 21 June 2017.
ITEM: People and Culture Committee - Chair's Update
Council resolved to note the Chair's verbal report in relation to the People and Culture Committee meeting held on 13 July 2017.
ITEM: Nominations and Legislation Committee - Chair's Update
Council resolved to note the Chair's verbal report in relation to the Nominations and Legislation Committee meeting held on 12 July 2017.
ITEM: Controlled and Associated Entities Committee - Chair's Update
Council resolved to note the Chair's verbal report in relation to the Controlled and Associated Entities Committee meeting held on 12 July 2017.
ITEM: Risk Committee - Chair's Update
Council resolved to note the Chair's verbal report in relation to the Risk Committee meeting held on 12 July 2017.
ITEM: Finance Committee - Chair's Update
Council resolved to note the Chair's verbal report in relation to the Finance Committee meeting held on 13 July 2017.
ITEM: Strategic Development Committee - Chair's Update
Council resolved to note the Chair's verbal report in relation to the Strategic Development Committee meeting held on 13 July 2017.
ITEM: Governance Review Implementation Plan 2017
Council resolved to:
1. approve the completion of the Governance Review Implementation Plan 2017 as proposed; and
2. note that the University Secretary will circulate a survey on the Council’s performance during the second part of the year with the results to be discussed at the Governance Workshop in December 2017.
ITEM: IT Strategy 2017-2025
Council resolved to approve the IT Strategy 2017-25.
ITEM: Related Party Disclosures Report
Council resolved to:
1. note the new related party disclosures required in the University’s 2017 financial statements and the additional information required by Key Management Personnel to comply with the new statutory reporting requirements; and
2. approve that the University Secretary, in consultation with the Vice-Chancellor, be authorised to amend, as required, the Conflicts of Interest Policy, the Outside Work Policy and other associated policies to reflect the new reporting requirements of the Australian Accounting Standards.
ITEM: Academic Senate Matters for Council consideration
Council resolved to approve:
1. the establishment of the new awards:
- Diploma in Business;
- Diploma in Engineering;
- Diploma in Humanities;
- Master of Special and Inclusive Education;
- Master of Human Resources and Law; and
- Master of Environmental Law.
2. the reinstatement of the award Graduate Certificate in Clinical Epidemiology,
3. the disestablishment of the Master of Special Education  from Semester 2, 2022 or when there are zero enrolments in the program;
4. the addition of the new awards to the Rule Listing Awards and the Rules Governing Academic Dress;
5. that authority be granted to the University Secretary to amend the Rule Listing Awards and Rules Governing Academic Dress to reflect the establishment and disestablishment of awards; and
6. the rescission of the:
- Rules Governing Undergraduate Scholarships as the content of this Rule is contained in other documentation.
- Rules Governing Postgraduate Research Scholarships as this Rule has been superseded by the Research
- Training Program Scholarship Policy and Higher Degree by Research Scholarship Policy;
- Rules Governing Higher Doctoral Degrees as it was incorrectly classified as a Rule level document and has been reclassified as a policy level document.
Council resolved to note:
1. the Program and Course Approval Committee have recommended the discontinuation of the following specialisations from Semester 1 2018:
- Master of Clinical Epidemiology ;
- Master of Special Education  program;
- Graduate Certificate in Educational Studies (Deaf/Hard of Hearing Early Intervention);
- Graduate Certificate in Educational Studies (Listening and Spoken Language); and
- Graduate Certificate in Educational Studies (Sign Bilingual).
2. the Academic Senate approved amendments to the:
- Masters Coursework (80, 120, 160) Awards and Programs Schedule;
- Graduate Certificate Awards and Programs Schedule;
- Bachelor Honours (320) Awards and Programs Schedule;
- Diploma (80) Awards and Programs Schedule; and 5. Higher Doctoral Degrees Policy and Higher Doctoral Degrees Schedule.
3. the Vice-Chancellor and the Dean of Graduate Research under delegated authority confer the Higher Degree Research candidates to the degrees listed in relevant documents.
ITEM: Council Committee Minutes for noting
Council resolved to note the unconfirmed minutes of the:
- Academic Senate meeting held on 21 June 2017
- People and Culture Committee minutes of the meeting held on 13 July 2017
- Nominations and Legislation Committee minutes of the meeting held on 12 July 2017
- Controlled and Associated Entities Committee minutes of the meeting held on 12 July 2017
- Risk Committee minutes of the meeting held on 12 July 2017
- Finance Committee minutes of the meeting held on 13 July 2017
- Strategic Development Committee minutes of the meeting held on 13 July 2017
Next Council meeting
Friday 22 September 2017