Generation Governance is UON's free online program, available to UON staff and students who:
- Are thinking about nominating for an Executive Committee of a student organisation or a University committee;
- Have joined a club or society and need to understand about what is expected of them;
- Want to understand good governance and the role it can play in the workplace and the community;
- Undertake a degree in business, commerce, innovation & entrepreneurship, law, engineering, or education which require a substantial amount of groupwork;
- Or just generally are interested in learning new skills and getting ahead in their career.
This course will assist students to develop an understanding of basic governance through learning about:
- Key documents, rules and processes that make up an organisation’s governance framework;
- The executive committee’s roles and responsibilities;
- The characteristics and behaviours of effective committees;
- How to effectively prepare for and chair a meeting;
- How to successfully plan, organise and run an event;
- The importance of sound financial and risk management, even in small clubs or societies.
How to get started
1. Download one of the Blackboard Generation self-enrol guides:
2. Login to Blackboard to self-enrol.
3. Get started!
Please contact us at Gen.Gov@newcastle.edu.au if you have a question or issue.
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.