Women in STEMM Chairs
The University of Newcastle is proud to announce the creation of three Women in STEMM Chair positions. This flagship initiative will launch the implementation of the University's four year action plan submitted as part of our application for Bronze Award under the SAGE Athena SWAN pilot.
The Women in STEMM Chairs will partner with stakeholders across UON, the sector, and industry, to contribute to delivering on the broader objectives articulated in the UON NeW Futures Strategic Plan (2016 – 2025). These unique opportunities are open to current UON female* Level E Professors within STEMM disciplines (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics and Medicine). Successful applicants will be recognised for their expertise and leadership and will champion the cause of gender equity for women in STEMM for a 3 year fixed-term period.
Established by the Vice-Chancellor Professor Caroline McMillen with the support of Pro Vice-Chancellor, Faculty of Science, Professor Lee Smith (pictured) and leadership of Pro Vice-Chancellor (Research & Innovation) and Lead Champion for the Athena SWAN Pilot, Professor Deborah Hodgson, these pioneering roles are designed to address issues of under-representation of women in STEMM.
These women will be role models. Their career achievements will inspire others to fulfil their career goals and to aim high. They will be seen and they will help the women around them to be seen too. They will lend their voices to the conversation and they will encourage those around them to speak up and be heard also. Professor Caroline McMillen
Areas of impact
The Women in STEMM Chairs will:
- provide vision and energy that inspires and motivates the UON community, driving a shared commitment to increasing participation and success for women in STEMM
- take a lead role in building and promoting gender equity in STEMM disciplines
- demonstrate active strategic leadership in promotion of UON’s Athena SWAN initiative and related activities within own discipline and others, helping to shape the future for UON as a leader in gender equity
- make a major contribution to equity and diversity governance
- build meaningful, productive and sustainable industry partnerships to support outreach and engagement activities and outcomes
- advocate for women in STEMM at the University and within higher education, political, professional, and industry sectors as appropriate.
Looking to apply?
Applications are open to all female* Level E Academic staff across all faculties with tenure for the duration of the three year contract period who demonstrate research excellence within a STEMM discipline. Full position details and how to apply are available here. Applications close Sunday midnight 26 August 2018
*Targeted Recruitment for female applicants:
The University of Newcastle currently has an exemption from the Anti-Discrimination Board of New South Wales, under section 126 of the Anti-Discrimination Act 1977, to conduct targeted recruitment programs for women. This exemption is applied to this position in line with UON’s Senior Academic Women Strategy and Athena SWAN Action Plan with the intent of addressing significant under-representation of women in STEMM, particularly in Leadership roles.