Sustainable tourism management requires the successful integration of economic, social and environmental sectors. This course critically analyses the relationships between the practices of recreation and tourism, and the physical environment in which they operate. The focus is on tourism and environmental management, therefore, the production and reproduction of cultural understandings of nature through a variety of leisure practices. As the environment in which leisure and tourism takes place is subject to a range of impacts, tourism professionals require of knowledge environmental management that enables them to identify and resolve problems to protect resources from the adverse impacts of recreation and tourism.
Not currently offered.
This Course was last offered in Semester 2 - 2017.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Explain and analyse the complex relationships which exist between humanity and nature within the specific domain of leisure.
2. Identify and examine the positive and negative effects of leisure activities and developments on the physical environment.
3. Demonstrate an evaluative understanding of the concept sustainability as it applies to recreation and tourism.
4. Interpret and apply the principles underpinning planning instruments and management strategies in the context of leisure-environment interaction.
5. Incorporate a variety of learning strategies to collect, collate and evaluate tourism evidence encouraging self directed learning.
6. Work independently and in teams to develop systems thinking skills and communicate your outcomes in written, visual and oral formats.
7. Recognise and apply a global perspective when researching issues relating to tourism and environmental management.
This course includes, but is not restricted to, the following topics:
- Perceptions of the environment
- Relationships between tourism and the environment- A systems approach
- Tourism, the environment and economics
- Human-wildlife interactions
- Climate and tourism
- Environment, poverty and tourism
- Tourism and rural environments
- Tourism and urban environments
- Tourism and protected areas.
- Sustainable Tourism Management
10 units of TOUR or LEIS courses.
In Term Test: In-class exam
Written Assignment: Essay
Presentation: Group Presentation
Written Assignment: Written Report