This online course focuses on high level ethical decision making relating to individual, group and community practice. It runs parallel to SWRK3300:Field Practicum. Students will be required to integrate and critique theoretical models and decision making tools relevant to their practicum field of practice.
Availability2019 Course Timetables
- Semester 1 - 2019
This course replaces the following course(s): SWRK4001. Students who have successfully completed SWRK4001 are not eligible to enrol in SWRK3007.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Formulate an advanced awareness of their personal and professional values and how these impact on ethical decision making, and a capacity to appraise these values with reference to the requirements of professional practice.
2. Demonstrate a high level of self-awareness and open transparent decision-making that integrates and is responsive to feedback from clients, peers, supervisors and teaching staff
3. Incorporate a critical understanding of the application of the AASW Code of ethics and knowledge of a range of perspectives and theoretical frameworks that influence ethical decision making in practice
4. Develop and apply knowledge from a range of ethical frameworks, models and approaches to assessment and intervention with clients, paying particular attention to work with people from culturally, linguistically and spiritually diverse backgrounds
5. Develop a capacity to search for, analyse and present relevant literature in relation to ethical social work practice and specific issues related to social work practice.
- Ethics theory and practice
- Ethical decision making frameworks and models and their application in social work practice
- Ethical decision making processes and practice responses to a diverse range of client presenting issues
Students can only enrol in this course if they have successfully completed SWRK2200, have successfully completed or are concurrently enrolled in SWRK3300 and are active in the Bachelor of Social Work (Honours) (12317) program.
SWRK2001, SWRK2003, SWRK2200
Written Assignment: Ethical Contention 30%
Case Study / Problem Based Learning: Group Task E-Learning Module & Peer Assessment 20%
Written Assignment: Ethical Decision Making 50%
Online 1 hour(s) per Week for 13 Weeks
Self-Directed 2 hour(s) per Week for 13 Weeks