Elementary field and office surveying theory and practice especially in relation to civil engineering works, including areas and volumes, horizontal circular and transition curves and vertical curves, long-sections and cross-sections, and traverse calculations.
- Semester 2 - 2017
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Introduce students to fundamental concepts used to surveying of sites for road and/or rail curves.
2. Introduce students to calculations to permit the setting out of circular and transition horizontal and parabolic vertical road or rail curves.
3. Introduce students to surveys and drawing for long-sections and cross-sections which allow the calculation of areas and volumes for earthworks for road and rail curves.
4. Introduce students to concepts and practicalities of traversing, especially for control relating to the above matters.
- Surveys by total station and traverse, with relevant calculations.
- Horizontal circular curves
- Transition curves
- Vertical parabolic curves
- Long- and cross-sections
- Areas & volumes
SURV1110 Surveying 1.
Tutorial / Laboratory Exercises: Assignments (A)
Tutorial / Laboratory Exercises: Assignment (C)
Tutorial / Laboratory Exercises: Assignment (B)
Formal Examination: Formal Examination
Face to Face Off Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for 6 Weeks
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
NOTE: The above distribution of contact hours may alter on a weekly basis and will be confirmed in the course outline handed to students in Week 1.