Introduces elementary plane surveying to students of surveying, civil engineering and environmental engineering. It covers basic concepts relating to such things as co-ordinate systems, and it introduces basic equipment and its usage.
Not currently available.
This Course was last offered in Semester 1 - 2016.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Introduce students to fundamental surveying concepts such as horizontal and vertical co-ordinate systems, horizontal and vertical angles and their manipulation, and graphical presentation of three-dimensional information, through contours
2. Bring students to competency in differential levelling
3. Introduce students to the capabilities and techniques of usage of the following, and to develop basic usage skills, without detailed theory. * electronic theodolites, * coarse positioning through the Global Positioning System, * electronic distance measurement systems,
4. Introduce students to concepts and practicalities of computer aided drafting, and develop basic usage skills.
- Introduction to fundamental concepts: horizontal and vertical co-ordinate systems, horizontal and vertical angles; graphical presentations such as contours.
- Differential levelling.
- Electronic theodolites.
- Distance measurement.
- Global Positioning System
- Basic drafting.
HSC or equivalent.
Written Assignment: Assignment (A)
Written Assignment: Assignment (B)
Formal Examination: Formal Examination