The course is developed in collaboration with accelerator company Slingshot. It provides students with skills in entrepreneurship and assists in building an understanding of the key elements of business creation, providing pathways for innovation and future self employment.
Students are taught by experienced entrepreneurs, venture capitalists, futurists, business strategists, and corporate leaders who have been sourced from both Australia and overseas. Students will be expected to complete an applied assessment exercise centered on creating and validating a new startup enterprise, which will culminate in a business pitch at the end of the course.STAR4100Interested in a Placement in an International Incubator?
Not currently offered.
This Course was last offered in Winter - 2018.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate a creative, experimental approach to working practice.
2. Define and conduct a workable program of research and professional practice including assigning time / budgets.
3. Conduct independent research to demonstrate selection of appropriate research methods, experiments and/or testing strategies, analysis and evaluation.
4. Appropriately consider potential social, environmental and ethical consequences of a design innovation.
5. Demonstrate the ability to articulate ideas and concepts using a range of communication techniques including visual, verbal and written.
The Course covers the following critical pillars of company formation:
- Introduction to Entrepreneurship;
- Business modelling for startups;
- Building a product customers want;
- Design thinking and prototyping;
- Developing growth and channels to customers;
- Branding and Marketing;
- How to pitch your business;
- IP and its protection; and
- Funding, investing and raising capital.
To enrol in this course you must have successfully completed 80 units at the undergraduate or postgraduate level, or be in either the Grad Cert Innovation Management & Entrepreneurship program, or the Master of BioInnovation and Design program.
Or you must be able to demonstrate completion of a minimum of 2 years work experience.
If you believe that you have met the above criteria but are unable to enrol in this course, please contact email@example.com with evidence of your work history and/or previous study.
Case Study / Problem Based Learning: Business Model
Presentation: Business pitch presentation