Clinical Practice 1
Students undertake supervised face-to-face clinical experience with the full range of speech pathology caseloads with both child and adult populations. The clinical placements are on a block basis, involving full day attendance (8.00am - 5pm), Monday to Friday, over a period of 10 weeks (or equivalent period if part-time placement is undertaken). This extended block program allows for as many placements as possible to be in rural NSW locations in order to provide experience in the models of service delivery appropriate to these settings. Additional individual tutorial support is provided by telephone to students in remote locations.
- Semester 2 - 2015
- Semester 1 - 2015
1. Demonstrate entry levels of clinical competence as required to meet the Competency Based Occupational Standards for Speech Pathologists, and in reasoning, communication, professionalism, and lifelong learning.
2. Experience (directly or indirectly) clinical management of developmental and acquired disorders in the areas of language, speech, swallowing, voice, fluency, and multi-modal communication in in children and adults.
3. Communicate their clinical experience and competence verbally and in writing in a professional and ethical manner.
4. Demonstrate professional and ethical behaviour appropriate to the policies and procedures of the clinical placement setting.
This course provides clinical practice experience with paediatric, adult and mixed caseloads.
The student is supervised by a qualified speech pathologist.
The student has the opportunity to observe and work directly with children and adults with a range of impairments, activity limitations and participation restrictions related to speech, language, voice, fluency, swallowing, and multi-modal communication.
Students will be involved with the planning and delivery of evidence-based services for assessment and treatment of individual cases, have the opportunity to participate in a range of service delivery/case management models.
Review of Progress
This course is a compulsory program requirement for students in the following program(s):
In addition to meeting the University's overall requirements for academic progression, students enrolled in these program(s) must satisfactorily complete this course in order to progress in their program.
This course is only available to students enrolled in the Bachelor of Speech Pathology(Hons) and associated combined degree programs.Students cannot complete SPTH4080 and SPTH4090 concurrently without the approval of the Program Convenor and the Clinical Education Co-ordinator.
Students need to note that there is a specific requirement for English performance to be clearly adequate for professional needs in order to successfully complete SPTH4080.
Professional Task: Ungraded requirements (COMPASS® Assessment and Record of Range of Experience)
In Term Test: Viva (oral examination)
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
- NSW Health Verification Requirements - Students must complete NSW Health Department requirements for students to attend placements in NSW Health facilities.
Face to Face Off Campus 40 hour(s) per Week for 10 Weeks
weeks to be advised for individual students