Working with Young People
Provides an introduction to youth work practice and to the contemporary provision of youth services. Major theoretical approaches to understanding young people will be examined. The social construction of 'youth' in Australian society will be an area of specific focus. The nature of issues affecting young people will be investigated under the broad headings of health; education; the labour market; accommodation and housing; juvenile justice; sexuality and young people in the context of families. Contemporary service delivery approaches to young people will be identified, together with contemporary policy and practice issues.
Not currently available.
This Course was last offered in Semester 1 - 2015.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Critically analyse the various theoretical and popular approaches/ constructions around "youth" and "adolescence";
2. Demonstrate a broad working knowledge of contemporary policies, and service delivery systems and programs, directed at young people in Australia
3. Demonstrate an awareness of how diversity and marginalisation impact on various young people
4. Demonstrate an understanding of the dominant and emerging human service practice approaches with young people.
Topics are likely to include:
- Unit introduction
- Popular representations of young people
- Theories of youth and adolescence
- Cultural perspectives on 'youth'
- Marginalisation and diversity (particularly issues associated with class, gender, geographic location, sexual identity, race, ethnicity, disability)
- Contemporary policy trends: continuity and discontinuity
- Young people and family: Trends, policies and services
- Young people and juvenile justice: Trends, policies and services
- Young people and secondary education: Trends, policies and services
- Young people and the labour market: Trends, policies and services
- Young people and accommodation and housing: Trends, policies and services
- Young people and health: Trends, policies and services
- Dominant and emerging practice approaches in work with young people.
Participation: Media Dossier and Class Participation
Presentation: Tutorial Presentation