This course provides a mix of supervised field placement and on-campus workshops, which integrate knowledge, values and skills relevant to students' individual areas of inquiry and career path in the Human Services. The overall agency-based component is for 12 weeks which may be completed over the semester as a block or by part-time.
Availability2017 Course Timetables
- Semester 2 - 2017
- Semester 2 - 2017
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of, and develop experience in, organisational structures, policies and procedures and engage in community programs.
2. Demonstrate increased understanding of social issues and problems.
3. Demonstrate increased knowledge of the range and role of government and non-government agencies in the social and community services sector.
4. Demonstrate an ability to design, implement and evaluate an appropriate agency-based project.
5. Demonstrate an ability to develop and extend understanding and analysis of the relationship between ideology, knowledge, theory, values, ethics and skills.
6. Demonstrate an increased awareness and understanding of use of self.
7. Demonstrate an ability to demonstrate initiative, autonomy and self-directed work practice.
8. Demonstrate an appreciation of, and ability to undertake team work.
The course covers:
- context analysis - organisation, policy, political, theoretical, philosophical aspects;
- project design, implementation and evaluation;
- fieldwork - skills, roles, responsibilities, ethical practices.
SPSW1001, SPSW1002 and SPSW2002 or equivalent. SOCA1100, SOCS2400 or equivalent.
Report: Mid Placement Report
Report: Final Field Placement Report
Callaghan and Ourimbah
Integrated Learning Session
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Fortnight for Full Term
Callaghan - Course will be offered as a weekly 2 Hour program, at Central Coast the course will be offered as a 4 hour Fortnightly program. Central Coast students also be required to engage with Online Problem-Based assessment tasks.
Face to Face On Campus 4 hour(s) per Fortnight for Full Term