This course provides a critical analysis of organisational functioning, power within organisations and ideological effects on workers. The course also introduces students to building their interpersonal communication skills necessary to work within the helping professions.
Not currently offered.
This Course was last offered in Semester 2 - 2016.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Identify dominant organisational paradigms and critique these in terms of their impact on disempowered service users
2. Function effectively and assertively as an empowering human service worker and relate openly to co-workers and managers
3. Display skills that will assist in job seeking, career management and stress reduction
- Postmodern analysis and power in organisations
- Policies and procedures
- Organisational culture
- Interpersonal skills for empowerment
- Verbal and nonverbal communication
- Understanding and managing interpersonal relationships
Presentation: Group Presentation
Formal Examination: End of Semester Exam
Participation: Tutorial participation and attendance