This course is the third and final course in the Health strand of the double degree - Bachelor of Teaching /Bachelor of Personal Development, Health and Physical Education (PDHPE). This course will provide students with the opportunity to develop and apply knowledge and skills in aspects of the Personal Development and Health syllabus strands of Self and Relationships and Individual and Community Health and the Personal, Social and Community Health component of the New Australian Curriculum HPE, specifically as they relate to sexuality and emotional, relational and mental health. Students expand on the knowledge and skills gained in their first and second years in promoting the health of students using a whole of school approach.
Availability2017 Course Timetables
- Semester 2 - 2017
- Semester 2 - 2018
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Describe and apply principles of, and strategies for teaching Personal Development and dealing with sensitive issues in relation to sexuality and social, emotional, and mental health
2. Demonstrate teaching skills and effectively use relevant teaching resources for teaching about personal development topics
3. Analyse their own experiences, attitudes and values which may affect their teaching of key strands of the syllabus
4. Demonstrate knowledge of the concepts and processes involved with sexuality, mental health issues for children and adolescents, child protection, and grief and loss (personal development topics in the NSW Secondary School Personal Development, Health and Physical Education syllabus and New Australian Curriculum HPE).
5. Describe a range of teaching, whole school and wider community strategies that will enhance the health and wellbeing of children.
- Module 1 - Sexuality
- Module 2 - Mental Health
Written Assignment: 'Sexuality Question Box' Presentation and Written Report
Online Learning Activity: Blackboard Online Reflection Task
Formal Examination: Examination
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks