This course introduces students to the complex and multi-factorial nature of health and illness, and relevant fields of public health, epidemiology and health promotion. Students will better understand the relationship between health and the social determinants of health, and issues and concepts which are important in the health and personal development strands of the PDHPE key learning area (Health component of New Australian Curriculum HPE). The course addresses issues affecting young people with a particular focus on recognised priority issues of drug use and road safety.
Availability2018 Course Timetables
- Semester 1 - 2018
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Describe the components of health, the social determinants of health and health-related behaviour;
2. Understand the role and functions of health education, public health, health promotion and epidemiology;
3. Demonstrate a satisfactory level of competency in academic skills related to: use of the library, internet and health databases to search for relevant academic literature; identifying components of a research article, understanding research terminology and simple literature appraisal; applying correct referencing techniques; preparing an academic piece of writing which meets academic standards, particularly in relation to plagiarism;
4. Understand the philosophy and purpose of drug and alcohol education in schools;
5. Describe current prevalence and patterns of drug use among the Australian population;
6. Identify the effects of drug use and the application of harm minimisation strategies for different drugs;
7. Identify and appropriately intervene with school students who are at risk of drug use or drug and alcohol-related harm;
8. Critically analyse the nature and main causes of road trauma including influences on decision-making and risk taking in young people;
9. Identify the range of strategies utilised to reduce road trauma.
- Introduction to health studies.
- Young people and drugs & alcohol.
- Young people and road safety
Report: Public Health Report
Online Learning Activity: Online Journal and Discussion Forum
Formal Examination: Examination
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks