Critical Review of Advanced Research Topic
PSYC4810 (together with PSYC4816A and PSYC4816B) forms a fourth year non-graded honours research project in Psychology. Students carry out a detailed literature review of a research area relevant to their research project, develop a research proposal and consider the ethical implications of their research. This work is completed under the supervision of a member of academic staff of the School of Psychology.
This course forms part of an Australian Psychology Accreditation Council (APAC) accredited sequence.
Not currently available.
This Course was last offered in Semester 1 - 2015.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Develop a research design including the selection of appropriate research methodology
2. Develop a research proposal
3. Consider the ethics implications of the intended research
4. Search for relevant and suitable reading material
5. Critically analyse and evaluate published research material
6. Present information in written format in an interesting and comprehensible manner with appropriate interpretation and evaluation
7. Provide a rationale for empirical research.
The course will cover:
- ethical principles in psychological research,
- development of a research project,
- development of skills related to critical thinking, as well as
- critical analysis and evaluation of published research.
Students will prepare or review and discuss a research project design and ethics application on their research topic area.
They will also prepare an extended review of the relevant research and rationale of their research that will include critical analysis of background published research relevant to their research topic.
Details of topics will be available at the commencement of the academic year.
This course is only available to students enrolled in the Bachelor of Psychology or Bachelor of Psychology (Honours) programs.
Students enrolling in Psychology 4000 level courses should have successfully completed all 240 units of the BPsychology or Bachelor of Psychology (Honours) program at the 1000-3000 levels or an APAC accredited sequence in Psychology (yrs 1-3)
Literature Review: Written assignment: Literature Review