How do we change over our lifespan? Developmental psychology combines many separate areas in psychology to examine the origins and age-related changes of several psychological processes with real life applicability.
This course examines developmental psychology and developmentally relevant psychopathology and provides in-depth coverage of principles and theories of physical, cognitive, social, and personality changes that occur across the lifespan, as well as specialised topics in these areas.
PSYC3700 is part of the Australian Psychology Accreditation Council's accredited sequence.
Availability2020 Course Timetables
- Semester 1 - 2020
- Semester 1 - 2020
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Evaluate theories and scientific methodologies used to study developmental psychology.
2. Analyse the interactions of core principles and theories related to physical, cognitive, social and personality changes that occur across the lifespan.
3. Evaluate the links between theoretical assumptions and applied aspects of developmental psychology.
4. Apply critical thinking to applications of lifespan psychology.
- Changes in physical, cognitive, social and emotional processes that occur over the lifespan;
- Advanced theoretical explanations for developmental processes;
- Use of the developmental psychopathology framework to demonstrate complex interaction of factors affecting both typical and atypical development;
- Comprehensive methods for studying development at different life stages;
- Developmentally and culturally appropriate assessment and measurement and further exposure to ethical issues specific to developmental research and clinical work.
Students considering enrolling in this 3000 level course should have successfully completed all the first year units and at least half the second year units of the degree program in which they are enrolled, in order to have sufficient knowledge, understanding and generic skills.
Written Assignment: Essay
Tutorial / Laboratory Exercises: Presentation
Quiz: Online Quiz
Formal Examination: Exam
Callaghan and Ourimbah
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 6 Weeks starting in week 2
Weeks 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Online 2 hour(s) per Week for 5 Weeks starting in week 3
Weeks 3, 5, 7, 9, 11