This course examines the relationship between mental and physical health. We look at how physical illness can impact on mental well being, how individuals can improve their physical well being using behavioural change, and how organizations and psychologists can promote healthy behaviour in individuals and populations.
Forms part of an Australian Psychological Society accredited sequence.
- Semester 1 - 2018
- Semester 1 - 2018
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Understand the important relationships between psychological factors and health;
2. Understand psychological strategies for intervening in a professional manner in health contexts;
3. Have the ability to define health, within a biopsychosocial framework;
4. Be able to describe some of the measures used to assess health and related issues;
5. Be able to identify some of the opportunities for psychologists to work within the health area;
6. Have the ability to identify some of the key models of health behaviour and behaviour change, and intervention approaches, underpinning the field of Health Psychology.
The course content covers four main areas of Health Psychology
- Health Psychology in an epistemological framework.
- How health problems impact on individuals' well being.
- How changes in behaviour can have a positive influence on a person's quality of life.
- Broad biopsychosocial influences on health, and interventions which address them.
PSYC3000, PSYC3001, PSYC3400 PSYC3501, PSYC3600, PSYC3700
Students considering enrolling in this 3000 level course should have successfully completed all the first year units and at least half the second year units of the degree program in which they are enrolled, in order to have sufficient requisite knowledge, understanding and generic skills.
Quiz: In-Class Quiz
Formal Examination: Formal exam (short answer)
Callaghan and Ourimbah
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 7 Weeks
See course outline for lab schedule
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks starting in week 2