Psychology is an extremely diverse discipline ranging from mental health to the underlying molecular mechanisms of behaviour. While all aspects of psychology are interesting and important, each student will be drawn to different areas of the discipline. This online course allows students to choose the areas they wish to explore while building essential written communication skills and developing a career portfolio. Students choose their own course content from a list of available topics that introduce students to areas of psychology that are of interest and could lead to specific career pathways and advanced topics in evolving areas. By the end of this course you will know more about the direction your career will take and will have acquired knowledge in areas of psychology that relate to your career choice. The topics include specialised modules in clinical, biological, social, cognitive, and developmental psychology.
Availability2021 Course Timetables
- Semester 1 - 2021
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Recognise and identify core concepts in specialised fields of psychology.
2. Effectively communicate key concepts in specialised fields of psychology in writing.
3. Integrate information related to specialised fields of psychology in an applied scenario.
4. Describe the application of three specialised fields of psychology to their personal career goals.
Students select three topics from topics such as the following:
- The forensic psychology of domestic violence and filicide
- The forensic psychology of youth crime and bullying
- Environmental psychology
- Indigenous perspectives
- Animal behaviour
- The psychology of gender and transgender
- Evolutionary psychology
- Positive psychology
- Transgender psychology
At least 20 units of psychology courses at 1000 level.
Written Assignment: Written Assignment
Portfolio: Reflective Career Portfolio
Online 10 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks
The University of Newcastle acknowledges the traditional custodians of the lands within our footprint areas: Awabakal, Darkinjung, Biripai, Worimi, Wonnarua, and Eora Nations. We also pay respect to the wisdom of our Elders past and present.