Students will choose, undertake, and complete a research project under the supervision of a University of Newcastle academic staff member. The project may involve external academic and/or industrial partners. Students will maintain a project workbook and participate in workshops on career development, oral presentations and ethical and professional practice in the discipline.
Availability2020 Course Timetables
- Semester 1 - 2020
- Semester 2 - 2020
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Applied the knowledge gained in previous courses to a practical problem in physics and associated disciplines
2. Demonstrated their ability to work independently and collaboratively
3. Developed their abilities in problem solving and critical judgement
4. Demonstrated their ability to effectively collect, analyse and organise scientific information
5. Acquired written and verbal communication skills that allow them to communicate a convincing and reasoned scientific argument at a level and style appropriate to the audience.
6. Contributed to group discussions on career preparedness and ethical and professional practice.
Students will complete a research project in collaboration with supervisors.
Students will undertake and complete a compulsory WH&S requirement for their project and work environment.
They will maintain a project workbook and participate in workshops on career development, oral presentations and, ethical and professional practice in the discipline.
A minimum of 30 units of PHYS2000 courses
Written Assignment: Written Assignments
Participation: Group participation and contribution
Report: Final Report
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
General Course Requirements:
- Individual Supervision: Induction Requirement - Students must attend and pass the induction requirements before attending these sessions. - In order to participate in this course students must complete a compulsory safety induction.
Face to Face On Campus 60 hour(s) per Term Full Term
Contact hours may be consolidated in a short period or spread over the semester depending on the nature of the project.
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term starting in week 1