Quantum mechanics has reshaped our view and understanding of the world in which we live. The fundamental postulates of quantum mechanics will be developed with an emphasis on how these ideas ultimately lead to an explanation of the physics of electronic devices and the design of discrete component electronic circuits.
Availability2018 Course Timetables
- Semester 1 - 2018
- Trimester 2 - 2018 (Singapore)
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Knowledge and understanding of QM and the Physics of Semiconductor devices.
2. Problem solving skills applied to QM and Semiconductor Devices.
3. Laboratory-based competency in QM and Semiconductor Devices.
4. An appreciation of the influence of QM on modern scientific development.
5. An interest in the role of QM and Semiconductor Physics in the everyday world.
Part 1: Quantum Mechanics
- Waves and Particles
- Schrodinger equation
- Bound States
- Expectation values & Operators
- Unbound States
- Three dimensional systems
- Hydrogen Atom
- Spin and Introduction to Atomic Physics
Part 2: Physics of semiconductors
- Crystal Structure
- Band theory of Solids
- Semiconductor Theory
- Single Junction Semiconductors & Photonics
- Multiple Junction Semiconductors
PHYS1210, PHYS1220 and MATH1120 (or MATH1220)
Quiz: Class Quizzes
Tutorial / Laboratory Exercises: Laboratory Reports
Formal Examination: Final Examination
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
General Course Requirements:
- Laboratory: Induction Requirement - Students must attend and pass the induction requirements before attending these sessions. - In order to participate in this course students must complete a compulsory safety induction.
Callaghan and PSB Singapore
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for 3 Weeks
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for 5 Weeks
5 weeks includes the Introductory Lab session
Face to Face On Campus 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks starting in week 2