Physics underpins most aspects of modern engineering, technology, and medicine. For example, about 25% of the world's economy is tied to the quantum mechanics of silicon, and many of the most important practical advances in chemistry and biology can be traced to the precise understanding of the behavior of atoms and molecules provided by quantum mechanics. Knowledge of physics is therefore vital to understanding the world around us. This calculus-based course continues on from PHYS1210 and covers the topics of mathematical tools, electromagnetism, optics and physics of matter.
Availability2019 Course Timetables
- Semester 2 - 2019
- Trimester 2 - 2019 (Singapore)
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Acquired knowledge of the basic principles of physics
2. An awareness of how to apply their knowledge of physics to practical everyday situations
3. Developed their analytic and problem solving skills
4. Enhanced laboratory and computing skills
5. Developed written and communication skills
A calculus based course aimed at students who have completed HSC Physics and Mathematics, and may wish to continue their study of physics beyond first year.
Integrated Physics - introduction to the key mathematical techniques used in physics:
Optics - Behaviour and properties of light, and its interactions with matter, as well as instruments used to detect it.
Physics of Matter - Quantum mechanics, atoms, molecules, solids and nuclear physics.
Mathematics Extension 1 with a result in Bands 3 or 4. It is also recommended that students have undertaken Physics and achieved a result in Band 5 or 6.
Quiz: Class Quizzes
Quiz: Online Quizzes
Tutorial / Laboratory Exercises: Laboratory Reports
Formal Examination: Formal Examination
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
General Course Requirements:
- Laboratory: Induction Requirement - Students must attend and pass the induction requirements before attending these sessions. - In order to participate in this course students must complete a compulsory safety induction.
Callaghan and PSB Singapore
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for 2 Weeks
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for 6 Weeks
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for Full Term