Physics underpins most aspects of modern engineering, technology, and medicine; developments in physics often drive social change. Knowledge of physics is therefore vital to understanding the world around us. Physics is needed to make new materials, monitor our environment, put satellites into orbit, harness energy, determine the strength of structures, take scans of the human body, develop faster computers, etc. The course is calculus based and covers topics from mechanics and kinematics, wave mechanics, electricity, particle physics, cosmology, and thermal physics.
Availability2018 Course Timetables
- Trimester 3 - 2017 (Singapore)
- Trimester 3 - 2018 (Singapore)
- Trimester 2 - 2018 (Singapore)
- Semester 1 - 2018
- Semester 2 - 2018
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. To enable students to acquire knowledge of the basic principles of physics
2. To teach students how to apply their knowledge of physics to practical everyday situations
3. To assist students to develop their analytic and problem solving skills
4. To enhance student's laboratory and computing skills
5. To develop student's written and communication skills
A calculus based physics course aimed at students who have completed HSC Physics and Mathematics.
Mechanics and Kinematics
Foundations of Electricity
Big Questions in Physics
Foundations of Thermodynamics
This course has similarities to PHYS1150 and PHYS1200 If you have successfully completed either of these courses you cannot enrol in this course.
2 Unit Mathematics with a result in Bands 5 or 6 and Physics
Quiz: Class Quizzes
Tutorial / Laboratory Exercises: Laboratory Reports
Quiz: Online Quizzes
Formal Examination: Final Examination
In order to pass this course, each student must complete ALL of the following compulsory requirements:
General Course Requirements:
- Laboratory: Induction Requirement - Students must attend and pass the induction requirements before attending these sessions. - In order to participate in this course students must complete a compulsory safety induction.
Callaghan and PSB Singapore
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for 9 Weeks
This includes the introductory lab session
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 1 hour(s) per Week for 12 Weeks