The complex role of the physiotherapist in providing evidence based practice in rural and urban community settings.
Availability2019 Course Timetables
- Semester 2 - 2019
This course replaces the following course(s): PHTY4060. Students who have successfully completed PHTY4060 are not eligible to enrol in PHTY4080.
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate a deeper understanding of issues of community health and epidemiology, including burden of illness, causation and health promotion issues relating to physiotherapy;
2. Appropriately pose questions concerning health issues for a target population;
3. Describe relevant models of community-based practice and rehabilitation and methods of evaluation;
4. Understand the diverse roles of physiotherapists in the provision of evidence based health care in rural and urban communities;
5. Discuss the scope of physiotherapy in health promotion and education in community-based populations;
6. Determine components of effective delivery of physiotherapy services in the community;
7. Describe a range of community health care resources available in NSW;
8. Select, adapt and apply evidence based assessment and management strategies appropriate for clients with complex conditions in selected community groups;
9. Assess and adapt living and work environments to facilitate client independence;
10. Assess and monitor change in functional status, including recognising the influence of common medications;
11. Recognise ethical, legal, socioeconomic and cultural influences on community health, both national and international;
12. Develop evidence based management protocols for a number of complex clinical patient cases.
1. Health promotion and burden of illness within the local and international community.
2. Strategies for physiotherapy community health promotion, including: accessing target groups facilitating behavioural change social marketing strategies, including the development of materials for various forms of media health promotion.
3. Community health issues in physiotherapy practice:
- models of rehabilitation
- models of community-based practice
- role of physiotherapy in the community
- evaluation of community physiotherapy services
- development of evidence based management strategies for complex cases under management within the community
4. Community health care resources available in NSW.
5. Ethical, legal, socioeconomic and cultural issues in community-based physiotherapy practice, particularly Indigenous.
6. Selected complex cases and their evidence based management in the community.
This course is only available to students enrolled in the Bachelor of Physiotherapy (Honours) program.
Pre-requisite - successful completion of PHTY3020, PHTY3060, PHTY3070 and PHTY3080.
Written Assignment: Essays / Written Assignments
Online Learning Activity: Online Discussion Contribution
In Term Test: Oral Defence, oral exam + written submission
Face to Face On Campus 8 hour(s) per Term Full Term
Online 26 hour(s) per Term Full Term
Self-Directed 20 hour(s) per Term Full Term
Face to Face On Campus 3 hour(s) per Term Full Term