Physiotherapy in Community Health
The role of the physiotherapist in health promotion and community-based practice in rural and urban settings.
Not currently available.
This Course was last offered in Semester 2 - 2015.
1. Demonstrate a deeper understanding of issues of community health and epidemiology, including burden of illness, causation and health promotion issues relating to physiotherapy;
2. Appropriately pose questions concerning health issues for a target population;
3. Describe relevant models of community-based practice and rehabilitation and methods of evaluation;
4. Understand the diverse roles of physiotherapists in the provision of health care in rural and urban communities;
5. Discuss the scope of physiotherapy in health promotion and education in community-based populations;
6. Demonstrate an understanding of the determinants of effective delivery of physiotherapy services in the community;
7. Describe a range of community health care resources available in NSW;
8. Select, adapt and apply assessment and management strategies appropriate for clients in selected community groups;
9. Demonstrate the ability to assess and adapt living and work environments to facilitate client independence;
10. Assess and monitor change in functional status, including recognising the influence of common medications;
11. Recognise ethical, legal, socioeconomic and cultural influences on community health, both national and international;
12. Develop a project to address an identified health issue relevant to physiotherapy and a targeted community group.
1. The Ottawa charter of international health promotion burden of illness
2. Strategies for physiotherapy community health promotion, including: accessing target groups facilitating behavioral change social marketing strategies, including the development of materials for various forms of media health promotion
3. Community health issues in physiotherapy practice:
- models of rehabilitation
- models of community-based practice
- role of physiotherapy in the community
- evaluation of community physiotherapy services
- development of health promotion materials relevant to physiotherapy
4. Community health care resources available in NSW
5. Ethical, legal, socioeconomic and cultural issues in community-based physiotherapy practice, particularly Indigenous
6. Selected complex cases and their management in the community
This course is only available to students enrolled in the Bachelor of Physiotherapy (Honours) program. Pre-requisite - successful completion of PHTY3080
PHTY3020, PHTY3040, PHTY3070
Viva Voce: Oral Defence
Online Learning Activity: Online Discussion
Written Assignment: Written Assignment