This course is designed to allow the students to continue the accumulation of additional knowledge necessary to function safely and effectively as an advanced nurse practitioner or clinical pharmacist. The course will provide students with advanced knowledge in the area of pharmacotherapeutics as it applies to the pharmacological management of diseases within the context of advanced nursing practice. The course uses targeted case based scenarios to further develop students knowledge of the mechanisms of actions of drugs as well as the quality use of medicines and implications surrounding these therapeutic agents. Other courses in the program will allow students to use this knowledge in their specialist practice.
Availability2018 Course Timetables
- Trimester 3 - 2018
On successful completion of the course students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate knowledge of the pharmacotherapeutic management of various diseases in the context of advanced nursing practice
2. Demonstrate knowledge of the mechanism of action of the drugs commonly used in the treatment of these diseases
3. Demonstrate knowledge of the quality use of medicines issues associated with the treatment of these diseases.
4. Demonstrate the ability to make informed and autonomous decisions about therapeutic responses and interventions that are based on clinical judgment, scientific evidence and patient determined outcomes
5. Demonstrate a commitment to Evidenced Based Practice
The course will cover:
1. The pharmacology, therapeutic management and quality use of medicine issues surrounding major diseases including
- Infectious diseases
- Neurological and psychiatric conditions
- Cardiovascular, respiratory and renal diseases
- Gastrointestinal and endocrine conditions
- Pain and musculoskeletal conditions
2. Highly specialized areas of practice including:
- Cancer care including cytotoxic chemotherapy
- Rural and remote prescribing
- Prescribing in palliative care
- Prescribing in Geriatrics and paediatrics
- Prescribing in intensive care
One year of advanced clinical practice in a specialty area of practice. Advanced level of knowledge of pathophysiology within a specialty area of practice. Some skills in health assessment / clinical decision making in the student's specialty area of practice. Ability to justify his/her Clinical Decision Making.
In Term Test: Online tests (x2)
Online Learning Activity: Discussion Board & Participation in and contribution to group work
Case Study / Problem Based Learning: Assignment / Case study
Formal Examination: Final exam
Online 2 hour(s) per Week for Full Term
Students will be provided with support from an on-line tutor. Students will gain face-to-face help from an approved clinical mentor of their choosing with expertise in pharmacotherapeutics.
Self-Directed 8 hour(s) per Week for Full Term